Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #31
Inactive Account

GerryL

I have seen the term "quick shift focus" in a couple of messages. I recently bought a K-x and the 2 kit lens which I understand do not have the quick shift but am looking at a Pentax 35mm 2.8 that should have that feature but I cannot see any "buttons" on the pictures of the lens. Could you tell me a bit more about this feature? Thanks,

Bill

02-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
Well that's good to hear. I hear a lot of talk about Canon and Nikon being the 'gods' of the dslr world...but I've also heard that a lot of that is marketing. I've had Pentaxs' in the past and have always found them every bit as able as N or C so I don't understand why people act so snobby about other brands. *shrug* Oh well. I'm very pleased w/my choice.

I have a relative that also recently got their first dslr and it is a Canone T1i. Well you just can NOT tell her that her camera isn't leaps and bounds better than mine (like I care, lol) simply because it is a Canon. I've tried to explain to her that she has an entry level camera with lots of the 'dummy' buttons, whereas mine is more for the 'enthusiasts' level photographer. Basically that it is mroe camera than the T1i overall. Am I wrong in this deduction? I did so much research before buying anything so I feel like I'm fairly well informed, though no expert by any stretch of the imagination. lol

Anyway...I do want to be able to get another Pentax lens, either the 55-300 or the 300. Either way, I'm going to have to save my pennies for awhile.
I'm no expert either but, If my original compares between the K10d and the Rebel still holds true, the Pentax is certainly the better built camera. I don't like to get into brand bashing because each has it's pros and cons. However, with your K20d, you can buy one of those cheapo 400 or 500 mm lenses, put it on your camera and you'll have an image stabilized 500mm lens. Your relative can use the same lens, but hers will Not have IS. In order for her to get IS 500mm, thousands of dollars. Photo quality is half decent, not the greatest in the world on any camera. Admittedly, the Canon 500mm is going to be a far superior lens but that's not the point I'm driving at. Scene modes to me have always been a waste of resource. Especially when I have to trip over them to get at the camera itself. The difference will be when she wants to do something that the scene modes don't cover and won't know how to bring the camera to her way of thinking. I think to say one is better than the other based on brand name alone is a little short sighted.

Anyway, I guess I'm babbling a bit so I'll stop..

Show us some more pictures when you get the chance

02-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill L Quote
GerryL

I have seen the term "quick shift focus" in a couple of messages. I recently bought a K-x and the 2 kit lens which I understand do not have the quick shift but am looking at a Pentax 35mm 2.8 that should have that feature but I cannot see any "buttons" on the pictures of the lens. Could you tell me a bit more about this feature? Thanks,

Bill
Don't mean to answer for Gerry but... There are no buttons with quick shift focus. You just grab the focus ring and twist. Very useful of your camera is hunting to focus and you can give it a little help.

Very cool feature.

02-17-2010, 08:56 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill L Quote
GerryL

Bill
Asking for pardon on the OP since this is out of subject but this will be a quick answer.
Welcome to the forums Bill!
Quick-shift focus or clutch-focus is something that Pentax lenses have that others don't (if they incorporate it).
It lets you turn the focusing ring manually for fine tuning (after AF lock) without turning MF/AF switch (on the camera of course) to MF .
It's also called clutch-focus since it disengages from the AF drive once you turn the focus ring manually.
Don't do this while the drive is still working though as it is ideal to do this after the AF drive has stopped.
With other lenses that don't have this feature, you won't be able to turn the focus ring (since it is full time engaged) if the switch is on AF (on the camera of course).
You will only be able to turn the focus ring once you turn the switch to MF.
This is very convenient if you would suddenly want to use MF or fine tune the AF without even bothering to flick the switch to MF.

02-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Don't mean to answer for Gerry but... There are no buttons with quick shift focus. You just grab the focus ring and twist. Very useful of your camera is hunting to focus and you can give it a little help.

Very cool feature.

Haha..you beat me to it and with very few words too!
02-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Haha..you beat me to it and with very few words too!
Gerry and Jeff, thanks for the quick and great explanations. Sorry to break the thread.

Bill L
02-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #37

Original Poster
Hi Jeff. Thanks for the reply. Everything you said makes perfect sense to me. And it's true, some people just are very short sighted...or have tunnel vision if you will. At any rate, I was playing with the ISO and shutter speed last night after a snow storm. I put my camera on the tripod and took some shots of the back yard from our porch. I have to upload them [tonight] and will post some. I have no idea if they are any good or not at this point.

Right now I have the camera set in "M" mode on AF. However, I forgot to turn the anti-shake off while it was on the tripod. Ugh. So much to remember. lol

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Very cool feature.

02-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you use the two second timer - which you should normally when using a tripod - then SR is deactivated automatically.

02-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If you use the two second timer - which you should normally when using a tripod - then SR is deactivated automatically.
Hey Mark. Um, I haven't figured out how to use the timer yet. lol But I'll look it up for sure!

See, I told you I'm new at this dslr thing.
02-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #40
Inactive Account

Hey Mark. Um, I haven't figured out how to use the timer yet. lol But I'll look it up for sure!

See, I told you I'm new at this dslr thing.

The 4 way rocker on the back of the camera has 4 positions you can press. Press down to access the flash types, left for WB, UP for Drive modes, right to access ISO. Press the FN button to get at these. In drive mode, you can select the 2 second timer, 12 second timer, as well as continuous (rapid fire), remote options, etc. I don't know if the 12 second disables SR or not, it's meant for when you want to jump into the shot..

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the reply. Everything you said makes perfect sense to me. And it's true, some people just are very short sighted...or have tunnel vision if you will. At any rate, I was playing with the ISO and shutter speed last night after a snow storm. I put my camera on the tripod and took some shots of the back yard from our porch. I have to upload them [tonight] and will post some. I have no idea if they are any good or not at this point.

Right now I have the camera set in "M" mode on AF. However, I forgot to turn the anti-shake off while it was on the tripod. Ugh. So much to remember. lol
From my porch is about the only place I like taking snow storm pictures from..

02-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #41
Pentaxian

just saw this thread.

if you are looking to step up from your existing zoom, to something bigger longer faster etc. there are about 3-4 ways you can do this before you get into the 3-5K range.

I own 2 of them, and have attached photos below.

my 2 solutions are

- the SMC 1.7x AF TC and SMC 300mm F4 lens, this combines to give 500mm F6.7 (not the fastest out there but not too bad, and it is still hand holdable.
- the sigma APO 70-200F2.8 EX (first version non DG non macro) and sigma's 1.4x and 2x TCs. These teleconverters are like matched units for a very narrow selection of sigma and pentex long tele's and zooms.

I also use a flash sometimes to freeze the subject.

the other 2 solutions are one of sigma's long zooms either the "Bigma" 50-500mm or 150-500 (i think) tele zooms, or an old MF SMC Takumar 500mm F4.5

Edit note, I guess you can also add any of the good MF 400mm F5.6 lenses out there. there are forum members that make the SMC-M 400 F4.6 and SMC-A 400mm F4.6 look really good.

these will all get you there although the older lenses have a bit of CA which causes fringing.

now for the results
Sigma 70-200F2.8 and 2x TC

SMC 300 F4 plus 1.7x AF TC

100% crop at 1/40th of a second

300F4 and 1.7x AF TC with a little help from a flash