Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #1

New to DSLR's and photography...K-X on the way!

Hey all,

I decided to go out and treat myself to a new K-X after extensive research of DSLR's within my price range. I ultimately picked the K-X over the Nikon D5000 and Canon T1i and from what I've read and see, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Apart from the research I've done over the past few days, I'm completely a newbie to DSLR's and photography in general but I wanted a new camera before a trip I'm taking next month.

I was wondering if you guys could recommend any resources to read up on the theory of photography (all the stuff I've been hearing about ISO, AF, focal points) and also general information regarding future purchase of lenses.

Also, I purchased the basic K-X kit with the standard 18-55 mm lens to give myself a flavor of photography before jumping on other lens options. In the future I imagine I'll be looking into other lenses but I don't want to overspend. Are there any high-performing but relatively inexpensive lenses out there that are multipurpose? If not, could you recommend a few lenses that combined, will accomplish everything? I forsee myself taking everything from macro, landscape, interior, and nature/wildlife shots.

Thanks so much...great community you guys have here!

02-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asdfTT123 Quote
Hey all,

I decided to go out and treat myself to a new K-X after extensive research of DSLR's within my price range. I ultimately picked the K-X over the Nikon D5000 and Canon T1i and from what I've read and see, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Apart from the research I've done over the past few days, I'm completely a newbie to DSLR's and photography in general but I wanted a new camera before a trip I'm taking next month.

I was wondering if you guys could recommend any resources to read up on the theory of photography (all the stuff I've been hearing about ISO, AF, focal points) and also general information regarding future purchase of lenses.

Also, I purchased the basic K-X kit with the standard 18-55 mm lens to give myself a flavor of photography before jumping on other lens options. In the future I imagine I'll be looking into other lenses but I don't want to overspend. Are there any high-performing but relatively inexpensive lenses out there that are multipurpose? If not, could you recommend a few lenses that combined, will accomplish everything? I forsee myself taking everything from macro, landscape, interior, and nature/wildlife shots.

Thanks so much...great community you guys have here!
For things like exposure, what it is, how it works and how to use it, Google is your friend.

As for lenses, given your desire, you've spec'd out everything from 10mm to 500mm (and up) and none of them are what I would call inexpensive. There Are options if you're willing to accept certain limitations however. Any K mount lens (with a couple exceptions) will work with your Kx. Read through the stickies posted in this forum to get a general idea of operation.

Then go HERE and drool for awhile. Remember that Old does Not equal Bad. In many cases, I actually think the older lenses are better.

Welcome to the Pentax club..

02-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #3

looks like we are on the same boat asdf...
from what i have read there are no inexpensive good lenses. you can look at the thread which i started
K-x kit lens. How good is it?
From what the users say it is better to get used to the kit lens first before we jump to upgrade the lens and i feel its right because we are total newbies. Hope it helps...
02-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #4

this could be of some help too
prime lens for k-x thread

02-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
Many thanks for the advice, guys!

As far as "inexpensive" is concerned, I was thinking of lenses similar to the ones offered in the kit such as the DA-L 55-300mm f/4-5.8 for shooting wildlife shots. 300mm might be the farthest I need to go. I'm not too familiar with the different lens series but I understand some lenses come with a premium for weather sealing and such.

Do the more expensive lenses really offer a much better IQ or a sharper image?
02-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asdfTT123 Quote
Also, I purchased the basic K-X kit with the standard 18-55 mm lens to give myself a flavor of photography before jumping on other lens options. In the future I imagine I'll be looking into other lenses but I don't want to overspend. Are there any high-performing but relatively inexpensive lenses out there that are multipurpose?
In a word, no. The multipurpose lenses are not generally the high performing ones, even not considering price. If you want inexpensive and multipurpose, you've got that already. Although you'll probably want a telephoto - the 50-200 or 55-300. But if you want a lens that is significantly higher performing than these, you've got to be prepared to pay for it, and generally find the lenses aren't as as multipurpose as what you already have. There are always compromises that might work for some people, but until you get to know the capabilities and limitations of your basic lenses, there's no way you can know what compromises you personally might be willing to make. So wait until you've identified specific needs before worrying about buying additional lenses.