Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #1

Metering on the K-7 needing a tutorial

I'm trying to figure out metering and have the just of it but wanting some insight on this and exactly how to do this for spot and evaluative.

thanks!

02-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by summergirl Quote
I'm trying to figure out metering and have the just of it but wanting some insight on this and exactly how to do this for spot and evaluative.

thanks!
Hi, Summergirl.. Welcome to the club!

I'm going to start by saying that I use Spot metering exclusively. You have 3 different types. Spot, Evaluative, and Center Weighted. Spot is as it's name implies and only meters the center area of the frame. The best and fastest way to study it's effect is to use an interior wall with a brightly lit window in it.

Set your camera to Manual mode and pick a shutter speed (or aperture). Point the camera at first, the wall next to the window and adjust your exposure so the meter reads centered and snap a photo. The outside detail will be pretty well blown out in most cases. Now take the same photo only this time, point the center of the frame at the window. The outside will be (reasonably) well exposed and the wall inside will be dark.

If you are using Center weighted, the results may be similar but will depend moreso on where the light is coming from and how much there is. If you take a photo in an open air shelter at a park for instance using CW, you will find that the outside is nicely exposed and everything inside is dark (unless you use a flash).

Evaluative tries to take everything into account and correct the exposure for everything considered.

There is no perfect mode, I use Spot exclusively so I can get what I want properly exposed. One thing to remember is that your meter only sees ONE thing. 18% gray which is the middle of that spectrum. It does not see color, it does not see people, cannot define texture, only sees the gray and assumes whatever it's pointing at IS that shade of gray. Your task become, if using the meter to expose your photos is to know what you are looking at with respect to that 18% gray. In other words, is it White, or is it Black? Or some shade in between. Remember, the meter assumes only one thing.

What you are trying to do is make the most out of the dynamic range your camera can give you.. I've found that having a basic understanding of the Zone System is a great help (I've used it since my film days and it still works).

Good luck..
02-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'll just observe that the K-7 is not unique in any of this. If you just need to get more familiar with metering and exposure in general, I'd recommend a trip to the local library or bookstore. Lots of people like the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, but there are plenty of other books on basic photography that should cover what you need. Then it's just a matter , of learning which button to press on the K-7 to do which thing described in the book, and since most cameras are pretty similar in this regar,d chances are, the answer will end up being pretty obvious.
02-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks both for your response. I have Understanding Exposure and understand this concept just trying to wrap my brain around it more.

02-17-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you understand the basics in Understanding Exposure, Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure is a great next step.

YouTube - Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure