Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

ringflash...again

so i know i already made an old thread about this but i found out some new information so i am making another to get the best opinions.
i am looking into getting a ringflash, i thought it was for dslr but its actually for slr and its 95$. when we tried it on k-7 it worked. the only thing is i ahve to set up everytthing manually. is it worth getting? plz someone help me. its a promaster.
again its,
a flash for slr not dslr but when we tried it on k-7 it worked.
today i went and tried with my k20d but had a delay, but when i got home i remembered taht it was on 2 second delay so basicly i think it works. if i go try it again should i buy it?
its all manual

02-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Damn Brit

IIRC you are going to be using it mainly for portraits. In that case, being manual shouldn't be a problem. It may take you a while to work out what settings to use in what circumstances, but once you have, you should work out more reliable at choosing than an auto functioning flash. Not only that, you will have developed your skills.
If it works and the price is right for you, get it. Failing that, save up for the version that is designed for DSLRs.
02-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I make extensive use of an old, film-era ringlite (eBay'd for US$40) on my K20D with a FA 50/1.4 lens. With or without any front-of-the-lens filters or adapters, I have no trouble with casual usage. Without aperture automation, like if I use a manual lens or put the 50 on simple macro rings, it's trickier to get good TTL operation. Stay automated and you should be OK.
02-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you guys!