Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #1

k20d

Does anyone have trouble with the exposure changing. When I shoot more than I pix in the same area and same light conditions in RAW, camera exposes 1 ok then either over or under on the next, camera set on single shot mode. Graphic

02-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FYI the articles section isn't for questions. Thread moved

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your first post so lets make an introduction also. Welcome to the Forum. Now to your question...without knowing your settings or subject, lets start with the Exposure Mode dial. If you are Spot metering and change the spot pointed at even slightly between shots, the camera could meter very differently. Try any other mode but Spot.

If you have not been Spot metering, tell us more about the subject you are shooting and your camera settings for the shot.
02-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #4

Sounds like bracketing mode is set?

02-17-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try turning off bracketing as mentioned above. With bracketing, your camera will shoot three to five different exposures of the same scene. Nice feature, but if it is turned on, you will get some weird exposures.

If you still have a lot of trouble with certain scenes, shoot in maual mode and use the green button to help set your exposure. You will be guaranteed to have the same settings then until you change them.
02-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Occasionally mine under-exposes for no reason I have been able to find. I have heard others say this.

Last edited by Oggy; 02-20-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Re-written in English.
02-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
Occasionally mine under-exposes for no reason I have been able to find. I have heard others say this.
I concur, when on the K20D the metering mode is on multi (as opposed to center weighted or spot) this can occur.

02-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
I concur, when on the K20D the metering mode is on multi (as opposed to center weighted or spot) this can occur.
Any time I am having exposure wonks, the first thing I check is to see if the exposure mode has been bumped to spot metering.
Putting the camera into spot metering and letting it have control of the exposure will cause all sorts of exposure problems.
I've found center weighted to be the most accurate metering method overall, but the K20 is not an especially accurate metering camera in my experience.
02-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
Occasionally mine under-exposes for no reason I have been able to find.
Post a picture with EXIF intact and I'll bet others will be able to identify the reason for you.