Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
vivitar 28mm...unknown mount

hello, i've got a 28mm vivitar lens but don't know what mount it is for and am unsure if i could find an adapter for this lens. figured i'd post it here and see where that may lead me. please see the attached images. Thanks!

btw...i did try to do a little research before asking you guys. i guess it looks closest to the Miranda bayonet mount or a t4 mount or a combo of them both? i looked through here.

Attached Images

02-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are right. It's a T4 lens with a Miranda T4 adapter. To use that on a Pentax, you need a T4 to M42 adapter and an M42 to K adapter. And you need to modify the T4 to M42 adapter to stop down the lens when you move the aperture ring.

The lens is probably the T93 in the semi-official catalog of Vivitar 28mm lenses. Here was one I gave away:

A test comparing it to some other 28s:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/61891-28mm-len...-pentaxes.html
02-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the information! any idea how to get the miranda adapter off? I do have the m42 to K adapter already, so now i just need to hunt for a t4 adapter. hopefully they aren't too hard to come by. or, since i've already got 2 other 28mm lenses...i may just sell this one. we'll see.
02-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See that rectangular bump that says O <- -> L ? Push in the rounded metal tab and rotate the bump in the O direction until it stops turning. Then you can pull the adapter off.

The easiest way to find adapters is to look for lenses that have them attached. The M42 adapter is pretty common. Most of the T4 lenses on eBay have no mention of T4 or adapter; the sellers have no idea. The bump is easy to see in photos. The Vivitars have serial numbers starting with 37. There's probably a list of lenses with the T4 system that will narrow your search.

02-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
See that rectangular bump that says O <- -> L ? Push in the rounded metal tab and rotate the bump in the O direction until it stops turning. Then you can pull the adapter off.

The easiest way to find adapters is to look for lenses that have them attached. The M42 adapter is pretty common. Most of the T4 lenses on eBay have no mention of T4 or adapter; the sellers have no idea. The bump is easy to see in photos. The Vivitars have serial numbers starting with 37. There's probably a list of lenses with the T4 system that will narrow your search.
Thanks! I appreciate your responses. They've been a big help!