Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Usually a fast shutter speed is used to freeze the action, which is great for capturing what's going on, but you can also experiment with slow shutter speeds using panning etc. Here's one I shot recently of a bowler in cricket, not perfect, but I like it (1/20s)-

Last edited by Arpe; 04-03-2010 at 06:57 PM.
03-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I always use TAv for shooting sport. I know I want a min speed of 1/350 (faster if possible), and I know what aperture I want to use, f4 or faster. So I set the auto-ISO to range between 100 and 4500 (yep I have used that). I adjust the shutter and aperture on the go if light changes etc. and know that the cam will adjust to necessary ISO.
03-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I always use TAv for shooting sport. I know I want a min speed of 1/350 (faster if possible), and I know what aperture I want to use, f4 or faster. So I set the auto-ISO to range between 100 and 4500 (yep I have used that). I adjust the shutter and aperture on the go if light changes etc. and know that the cam will adjust to necessary ISO.
Wouldn't manual mode with Auto-ISO give the exact same result?

All these pseudo-modes seem redundant to me. Sv mode is like Program mode with a fixed ISO. TAv mode is like Manual mode with Auto-ISO. And Green mode is like Retard mode, except it gives worse results than a mentally challenged person could accomplish.

All we need now are a bunch of crazy and useless scene modes, like FIVE of them, all crammed onto a single dial along with the regular modes. And maybe a No Flash mode added in for good measure. We could put it all on a tiny DSLR, maybe call it the K-x or something. That would be awesome.
03-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #19

Yesterday I went to the library and got "Understanding Exposure" and read it until the wee hours last night. It really helped. From what I read, I really need a relatively fast telephoto lens, which would be good for me anyway, since my real focus (sorry!) is people and portraits.
Thanks for all the advice and help!

03-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Yes, but no Auto-ISO in Manual mode. At least on Kx.

Pentax sets fixed ISO in Manual Mode. Really a shame as it forces a new mode for same functionality and makes ISO setting change as you move from P/Av/Tv to M.

Not a killer on cameras with TAv, but Kx doesn't have it.
03-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Yes. It's called TAv mode
03-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bnorikane Quote
Yes, but no Auto-ISO in Manual mode. At least on Kx.

Pentax sets fixed ISO in Manual Mode. Really a shame as it forces a new mode for same functionality and makes ISO setting change as you move from P/Av/Tv to M.
I had no idea Auto ISO wasn't available in Manual mode on the K-x. That seems like a weird omission. I also think it's unfortunate that the K-x doesn't allow the user to set the Auto-ISO range. Seems to me like it would always climb to ISO 6400 before slowing down the shutter speed or opening up the aperture. But then, I guess these (and other) reasons are why the K-7 costs more.

03-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had no idea Auto ISO wasn't available in Manual mode on the K-x.
It's not on *any* other Pentax camera that I am aware of. Seems a weird feature to me - Manual should mean just that. But a separate TAv mode makes perfect sense to me - far more sense than the "scene" modes that take up space on the dial.
03-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It's not on *any* other Pentax camera that I am aware of. Seems a weird feature to me - Manual should mean just that. In my mind, there's hard and fast distinction I want the camera to honor: M mode means *I* pick the actual exposure (how bright the picture is), and it never floats as the scene changes, or I'm returning the camera as defective. All other modes, the camera picks the exposure, with me just giving it hints as to one or two of the parameters. So a separate TAv mode makes perfect sense to me - far more sense than the "scene" modes that take up space on the dial.
BTW, Sv is not just program mode with fixed ISO - it's Program mode with *easily changeable* (just a turn of the wheel, no extra buttons to press or menus to look at) ISO.
03-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It's not on *any* other Pentax camera that I am aware of. Seems a weird feature to me - Manual should mean just that. But a separate TAv mode makes perfect sense to me - far more sense than the "scene" modes that take up space on the dial.
pff, I'm a retard. I can't pick Auto-ISO on my K-7 in Manual mode either. I never use Auto-ISO, so I never even thought to check.
04-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #26

Original Poster
do u mind explaining panning to me?
04-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Any one have a suggestion for books that can elucidate the Pentax manual?
The Magic Lantern series is usually a bit better written than the original manual, and may give just a bit more information and reference material. Still find it odd they show white-balance examples... in black-and-white (at least in the K100D version)

The Understanding Exposure book has a lot of marginal material, but learning the metering techniques given (blue sky, green grass, palm of hand etc) makes it a worthwhile purchase. Apart from composition, the most important thing is knowing what your meter is thinking, and applying exposure compensation.

I generally scan the manual, adjust the basic settings, shoot for a few days, then scan the manual again for specific things that still don't make sense.