Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #1

Newcomer with a black Pentax MX on the way... but which film should I use?

Just like the subject said, I'm new to this little world and I've got a MX on the way along with a 28mm lens coming too. With all this said, I don't know which film I should start out with. I was hoping to shoot something along the lines of the AGFA Ultra 100 film. I know it's really non-existant these days so any suggestions?

02-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you checked out this thread yet?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/53503-cool-let...shots-152.html

Lots of samples, many with the film type marked. I'm not familiar with the AGFA film you mentioned, but Flickr is another good place to search for samples from different film types. I bought single rolls of a number of film types that looked interesting and am gradually working my way through them.
02-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Agfa is out of business now. They don't make any more film. Rollei reportedly bought their manufacturing and is re-releasing their films under their brand, at around $7/roll at Freestyle.

I would get some Ilford or Kodak film to start. Order from Freestyle, B&H, Adorama, etc. If you want to develop it yourself, also get the necessary chemistry etc.
02-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you are looking for something B&W and inexpensive, the Legacy PRO 100 at Freestyle is really just relabeled Fuji Acros 100.

02-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get some Ilford, you can't go wrong with this.
If you want to habe a lot of not of b&w film on a budget, you can also try the chinese Shantou Era 100.