Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 05:34 AM   #1

Can i use this with the Pentax K-x?

Pentax | O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup | 30150 | B&H Photo Video

I'm so to buy a K-x soon and as far as I red on the internet the K-x's viewfinder is pretty small. Can this be used with the camera?

02-18-2010, 05:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It can.
02-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

How to replace one of those?
02-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by evl tvn Quote
How to replace one of those?
How do you mean? How to replace the existing one by the 'linked' one? If so, the camera manual describes how to take the existing one of (to replace it with a viewfinder cap). Looks like 'linked' one works the same (based on the picture) so take the existing one of and slide the other one on.

02-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #5

The K-x actually has one of the biggest viewfinders of all the entry level dSLR competition.

The O-ME53 looks like it has a nicer eyecup than what ships with the K-x... I wonder if the little lens inside of it could be removed if magnification wasn't desired. I see some screws that look like this might be possible.
02-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
The K-x actually has one of the biggest viewfinders of all the entry level dSLR competition.

The O-ME53 looks like it has a nicer eyecup than what ships with the K-x... I wonder if the little lens inside of it could be removed if magnification wasn't desired. I see some screws that look like this might be possible.
You might be better off (financially) finding a non magnifying eyepiece for that purpose. Overall shape of the O-ME53 is the same as the Pentax standard eyepiece, just thicker. It gives a little bit of viewing advantage in that you don't have to press your face against the screen as much. On the other hand, the magnifier WILL crop the viewfinder such that edge information is cut off all the way around. On my K20d, I find myself shifting view to see everything in the viewfinder. I considered buying one for my K7 but after comparing my K20d (with the eyepiece) against the stock view finder of the K7, decided against it.

All that said, the eyepiece DOES help me with manual focusing on the K20d using the Katzeye split screen. So if that's the purpose for buying one, I'd say go for it. But if you're looking for it to magnify the entire viewfinder (in normal view), leave teh O-ME53 on the shelf and spend your money somewhere else.

To install it, just slide the original one off and put the new one on. Nothing could be simpler (aside from swapping lenses).

02-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #7

Is it correct that only the eyecup from the original eyepiece comes off? The original eyepiece lens itself stays in the camera. Is this right?

02-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregor Quote
Is it correct that only the eyecup from the original eyepiece comes off? The original eyepiece lens itself stays in the camera. Is this right?
Yes. The eyecup has a metal flange that slips down over the camera eye-piece.

02-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Instructions are listed on the camera manual and also on the magnifier eyepiece you are going to get.
02-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you very much for feedbacks.
02-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
does it crop much of the viewfinder?
02-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It doesn't "crop" the viewfinder at all - it just moves your eye further from the window, making it harder to see it all at once. How hard depends on whether you wear glasses and the shape of your face - the further from the viewfinder your eye is, the harder it is to see everything at once. At worst, you might have to kind of look around. Even with glasses, I can pretyt much see the whole image at once, but the info display at the bottom requires me to look down. I find I kind of like that - it enables me to focus more on the image itself.
02-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It doesn't "crop" the viewfinder at all - it just moves your eye further from the window, making it harder to see it all at once. How hard depends on whether you wear glasses and the shape of your face - the further from the viewfinder your eye is, the harder it is to see everything at once. At worst, you might have to kind of look around. Even with glasses, I can pretyt much see the whole image at once, but the info display at the bottom requires me to look down. I find I kind of like that - it enables me to focus more on the image itself.
Which in effect, is a cropped viewfinder. Never said the edges weren't there, just that with the normal straight on view, can't see it all as you even stated yourself.

02-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Note I was actually responding to the question posted in the response just above mine; I wasn't meaning to nitpick your post, which actually explained the distinction just fine. I just wanted to make sure the person to whom I was responding understood that distinction too; I had no way of knowing if he had read your explanation or not.
02-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Note I was actually responding to the question posted in the response just above mine; I wasn't meaning to nitpick your post, which actually explained the distinction just fine. I just wanted to make sure the person to whom I was responding understood that distinction too; I had no way of knowing if he had read your explanation or not.
Sometimes it's a little confusing who is talking to whom. That's why I quote when I want to address someone directly. I've been wrong about it before, will be again I'm sure..