Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax (NOT) in India - A Real Pathetic Story...

Hi All,
I am a resident of New Delhi, India which is a growing market and I have been trying for the last 6 years to get hold of Pentax's affordable SLR cameras but due to the absence of any official channel or any representative who deals in Pentax SLR cameras and due to non existent After Sales Support concerns I end up buying entry level Nikon or Canon cameras which are present here officially.

What a shame that a company like Pentax does not even have an official channel for the sale of SLR cameras in India. All that are present in India are direct importers who do the freight forwarding on your behalf and charge a lot over and above the Max retail price. This makes the affordability factor favor the Nikons and Canon.

Can some one tell me from where can I buy a genuine, legal Pentax K-x in Delhi or any where in India at competitive prices because as such a Pentax K-x is costing me way more than a Nikon 5000 or Canon 1000D and that too in the complete absence of After Sales Support.

I am afraid , I will for the third time end up buying a Canon even though I wish to lay my hands on Pentax this time.

some one please help me...
Suraj from India

02-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Unless someone does know a place with Pentax gear there my advice is to unfortunately go with Canon or Nikon till Pentax shows up. If you buy a Pentax you will probably end up wanting to buy extra gear and it will be a real pain trying to find those lenses and stuff...
02-19-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with stardust. It's unfortunate but I indeed have adviced it before to somebody here on the forum. Anything extra that you need (lenses, repairs etc) will cost you a fortune extra due to shipping costs.

I'm lucky that I live in a country where Pentax is available so at least service is not an issue, but till recently I had to really search for additional gear. That does seem to be getting better now also a big shop recently removed Pentax from their website.
02-19-2010, 03:02 AM   #4

Nice to hear from another Dilliwala...!!!! I have been a Delhite for almost 20 years when I left India 6 years ago...I'm surprised Pentax has not set up shop in north India. You can buy Pentax gear from Bombay, Bangalore, Hyderabad etc...there are lot of Marwari businessmen in western India who sell it. Checkout 'Pentax users from India' group in this forum. You can get lot of tips from guys in India who are already using Pentax. I dont think its going to cost you a lot to but it off eBay.in as well...good luck...

02-20-2010, 05:09 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Even more pathetic is the fact that Pentax USA doesn't even have the details of dealers and distributors for India and they very foolishly reply , see below
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Suraj,
Thank you for contacting Pentax.

Our records indicate that Pentax is represented in India, at the following addresses:

ALLIED PHOTOGRAPHICS INDIA LIMITED-headquarters-

Kasturi Buildings, 3rd floor
Jamshedji Tata Road
Mumbai 400 020
91-22-2338210/2338211

-branch offices-
1) 18-A, Shivaji Marg,New Dehli 110 015, 91-11-5103993/5104093/5437738
2) 31, Chittaranjan Avenue, Ground floor, Calcutta 700 012, 91-33-2360375/2369585/2371707
3) Kannammai Building 611,Anna Salai, Chennai 600 006, 1-44-8291473/5211/5616

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.
Sincerely,
Pentax Imaging Technical Support

The moment I got this reply, I immediately gave a call at their Mumbai and Delhi offices above only to find that they have long time discontinued selling Pentax.

BHINDIA and IDLDPL are just direct importers who can import any thing of everything on your behalf. I am OK with that too but a customs duty of 24.4% on Max retail price and USD $120 shipping charge and exchange rate of Rs. 47.50 put me off specially because that international warranty is of no use in India.

Looks like I have made up my mind. To hell with Pentax, Let me buy some thing more meaningful here locally which at least carries a better price and after sales service than the shameless customer un-friendly Pentax. If Pentax does not have India in its priority list then why should any Indian even care about such a sluggish company!
02-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Can you give me one good reason why Pentax USA should know details about Pentax India ? As far as I know, Pentax headquarters are somewhere in Japan and not in the States.
02-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by surajkumar77 Quote
Even more pathetic is the fact that Pentax USA doesn't even have the details of dealers and distributors for India and they very foolishly reply , see below
Dear Suraj,
Thank you for contacting Pentax.
Looks like I have made up my mind. To hell with Pentax, Let me buy some thing more meaningful here locally which at least carries a better price and after sales service than the shameless customer un-friendly Pentax. If Pentax does not have India in its priority list then why should any Indian even care about such a sluggish company!
theres always marketplace ebay and other means of buying pentax gear... buying from an 'authorized' dealer.hm.. i dunno how it helps though...

as some1 else pointed out. check pentax india users forum.

05-21-2016, 06:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
interested
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/321052-sal...ocus-zoom.html
05-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
more than cameras its the third party ecosystem, slowly all are pulling out
05-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surajkumar77 Quote
Hi All,
I am a resident of New Delhi, India which is a growing market and I have been trying for the last 6 years to get hold of Pentax's affordable SLR cameras but due to the absence of any official channel or any representative who deals in Pentax SLR cameras and due to non existent After Sales Support concerns I end up buying entry level Nikon or Canon cameras which are present here officially.

What a shame that a company like Pentax does not even have an official channel for the sale of SLR cameras in India. All that are present in India are direct importers who do the freight forwarding on your behalf and charge a lot over and above the Max retail price. This makes the affordability factor favor the Nikons and Canon.

Can some one tell me from where can I buy a genuine, legal Pentax K-x in Delhi or any where in India at competitive prices because as such a Pentax K-x is costing me way more than a Nikon 5000 or Canon 1000D and that too in the complete absence of After Sales Support.

I am afraid , I will for the third time end up buying a Canon even though I wish to lay my hands on Pentax this time.

some one please help me...
Suraj from India
Here is a link you can try. Best of luck.

Ricoh Imaging brings Pentax back to India with K-S2 DSLR | The Indian Express
05-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is supposed to be the India office:

RICOH INDIA LIMITED
2nd Floor, Salcon Aurum building
Plot No. 4, District Centre, Jasola
New Delhi-110025
Phones: 011-49103000, 011-49103100, 011-49103200
Fax: 011-49103099, 011-49103199
Service and Toll free number: 18001030066, 1800116600
Email: ril.info@ricoh.co.in, For more information send SMS 'RICOH' to 53456.
05-24-2016, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

I know this is a 6 year old thread, but for the record Ricoh Imaging do indeed seem present in India.

https://ricoh.co.in/products/camera-binoculars/9/

They have a store:

Printers, Projectors, Cartidges - Ricoh India Online Store

and Ricoh Imaging even has a Facebook for India:

https://www.facebook.com/Pentax-India-596938923790125/