Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #1

Pentax K-x: something inside sliding when tipping the camera 90 degree up-right?

Hello,

I wonder if all K-x are like this, or purely by coincidence I just got 2 bad (brand new) copies from 2 reputable authorized dealer (BHPhotoVideo, and BeachCamera).

I originally bought one from BeachCamera but decided to return it because, when I slowly tip the camera (brand new out of box, lens not mounted yet) left (or right - doesn't matter) for 90 degrees until it's in up-right position (ie, from normal position, turn it counter-clockwise (or clockwise) 90 degrees), I hear very obvious noise of something sliding inside the camera body! Of course this is repeatable every single time I do it. and it's not something small (like a clip pin) - it's something pretty big (like a A3 battery).

It is easier to notice this when turning the camera 180 degrees (eg, from sideways up to sideways down).

Are you noticing the same?
I got my other order from BH yesterday, and tried it - exactly the same thing!
This seems like a manufacture defects to me. While it seems to be capturing image, I don't think I want to have a DSLR with this issue that seriously concerns me.
I had D90 from BH for 1 day (in Dec 2009 - returned it since BH sent me an open-box, with camera SN not even matching that in receipt!) and I did not notice that.

I'm going to costco/bestbuy to try one out there, but if they all have this issue, I'm switching to D5000 (or D90). Otherwise I'll ask BH for a replacement.

Thanks.

Wayne

02-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yuwlyuwl Quote
Hello,

I wonder if all K-x are like this, or purely by coincidence I just got 2 bad (brand new) copies from 2 reputable authorized dealer (BHPhotoVideo, and BeachCamera).

I originally bought one from BeachCamera but decided to return it because, when I slowly tip the camera (brand new out of box, lens not mounted yet) left (or right - doesn't matter) for 90 degrees until it's in up-right position (ie, from normal position, turn it counter-clockwise (or clockwise) 90 degrees), I hear very obvious noise of something sliding inside the camera body! Of course this is repeatable every single time I do it. and it's not something small (like a clip pin) - it's something pretty big (like a A3 battery).

It is easier to notice this when turning the camera 180 degrees (eg, from sideways up to sideways down).

Are you noticing the same?
I got my other order from BH yesterday, and tried it - exactly the same thing!
This seems like a manufacture defects to me. While it seems to be capturing image, I don't think I want to have a DSLR with this issue that seriously concerns me.
I had D90 from BH for 1 day (in Dec 2009 - returned it since BH sent me an open-box, with camera SN not even matching that in receipt!) and I did not notice that.

I'm going to costco/bestbuy to try one out there, but if they all have this issue, I'm switching to D5000 (or D90). Otherwise I'll ask BH for a replacement.

Thanks.

Wayne
Could it be that the Pentax cameras have in camera anti-shake and you are hearing the sensor shift when you move the camera?? (the nikons do not so you will not hear the shift). Every Pentax with IS will make Some noise when you rotate or shake the camera....

02-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with JeffJS. Wayne, just put the lens on and enjoy the K-x. It is said to be a great camera. I have the K10d and it does the same. Though, I have heard in the newer models the movement is not quite as pronounced.
02-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Igilligan

Please dont return another camera. It is the free floating SR shake reduction you are hearing.

It is normal to hear the noise... it is what lets the pentax have image stablization with all lens.

02-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
I do realize that it has in-camera anti-shake/IS/VR, but when I played with D90 with the 18-105VR lens which ALSO has VR, it has NO noise whatsoever.
Camera has many parts, including motor(s). That should NOT mean they should have noise like what I'm hearing in my opinion. Besides, with AS/IS/VR, why it should be so hard at work (sliding and making annoying noise) when my camera is NOT even turned on.

Do you, any of you, notice same noise?
02-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
sorry - my post#4 was RE: MSM.

RE: Igilligan
hmm. that really concerns me. Are you confirming that your K-x has the same thing?
02-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #7

IMO, this noise/movement should be mentioned on a slip of paper put in with the camera or mentioned in the manual. But the consensus is that it is normal:

k-x, something heavy moving inside, not shake reduction?
02-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
IMO, this noise/movement should be mentioned on a slip of paper put in with the camera or mentioned in the manual. But the consensus is that it is normal:

k-x, something heavy moving inside, not shake reduction?
I think this question has been asked on the forum about every single Pentax model that has built in SR

02-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #9

VR is built into the lens with Nikon and Canon, and doesn't make a sound. SR in Pentax cameras is built into the body and, yes, makes a noise when shifting the camera around even when the camera is turned off (at least on my K2000/K-m). This is a positive aspect, and not a defect. If you really can't stand the sound of it (mine isn't all that noticable, although I guess it can vary with the K-x) try turning the SR off and see if the noise persists.
02-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
MSM
Veteran Member

I do realize that it has in-camera anti-shake/IS/VR, but when I played with D90 with the 18-105VR lens which ALSO has VR, it has NO noise whatsoever.
Camera has many parts, including motor(s). That should NOT mean they should have noise like what I'm hearing in my opinion. Besides, with AS/IS/VR, why it should be so hard at work (sliding and making annoying noise) when my camera is NOT even turned on.

Do you, any of you, notice same noise?
My K10 makes more of 'thud' sound. I would not call it a noise but more of a feeling. Now, when I turn it on the SR on my camera acts like a dust removal device and shakes a number of times. This is associated with a noise.

Your right that there are a number of moving parts in the camera. I would guess that if it was say the moter for screw drive you wouldn't have any autofocus. Anything in the light path (ie prism, mirror, sensor) you wouldn't be able to take any pictures.) What is left after that? The circuit board/components? I suspect you wouldn't be able to even get it to turn on if that were the case. Anyway, give it a go with the K-x. I am over 16K shots on mine.
02-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks Hemi345 - that linked thread is really helpful.
02-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #12

Original Poster
And thanks EVERYONE!
02-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #13

Original Poster
Oh, and, since the noise is supposed to be "normal" (still, don't like it and it still conerns me), I'll keep it and stick with my first DSLR. (still got the wife to convince , who just wants a D90 since, that what I originally got her in Dec, and one she saw a friend shooting with during a kids party at 321Bounce and she was impressed at the photos kids sliding down the big inflated slider).

I want K-x because of its budget (#1), low-light performance (#2), and comparable IQ etc. to D5000 and T1i (#3). Now I can afford a decent prime with the ~$350 difference between D90 and K-x. Hopefully with some decent portrait/kid shots, my wife will turn "you don't love me" to "you really love me"
02-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Another one..
02-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I want K-x because of its budget (#1), low-light performance (#2), and comparable IQ etc. to D5000 and T1i (#3).
Another good reason should be SR - the source of the sound you were asking about. Sure, the other cameras would have that built in to the kit lenses, but those are pretty much the *only* lenses under $1000 that have it.

BTW, the reason Nikon's stabilization system doesn't make that sound is that it works on an entirely different physical principle. And the Pentax system doesn't make noise because it's hard at work. On the contrary - it makes noise because it is *not* working. the sensor is normally free to float about in it frame - that's an important part of how the system system works. It is only held in position while actually shooting. So it's not making a sound because it is cheaply made - it makes a sound because the free-floating sensor is a necessary aspect of the design. It's actually built to very tight tolerances - but those tolerances *require* the sensor to be free-floating.