Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Filters

Is ND the same as Polarising? I am having trouble finding ND filters in any shops in Australia.

Also, since I can't find any in shops in Australia I'll probably buy some online. But I can't work out what size to buy. Any idea what size filter the 70-300mm Tammy, 10-20mm Sigma & 18-55mm Pentax take?

02-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No. ND simply cuts down the amount of light, allowing you to shoot slower shutter speeds. Polarizing filters change the nature of the light. Google would presumably explain that more.

Filter size is often listed on the lens itself, and certainly in the documentation that came with the lens. I know the 18-55 takes 52mm, and most versions of the Tamron 70-300 take 62mm (there have been at least different versions, though). Also, going to the mnufacturer web site, or a dealer like B&H, will usually list filter size in the specs for the lens.
02-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
I couldn't find the specs on the tammy on their site, and amazon suggested 2 different sized filters for it. Hence the confusion. I'll check out Sigma now. Thankyou!
02-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The Sigma (the older version) takes a 77mm filter. Are you only looking for ND filters to use as Marc suggested, or do you also have a use for the ND Grad filters which serve other functions, and come in different colors as well as stops? Is your Tammy lens an LD or LD Di 70-300 Macro?

All the major on-line camera shops sell polarizers, NDs, and ND grads, though the polarizers are more abundant due to demand.

02-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
I only want the ND filter to try and snag some daytime lightning shots. None of the retail shops have them here, so I'll have to order some online from the U.S.

The tammy is a 70-300di with a macro switch.
02-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by schitzengiggles Quote
I couldn't find the specs on the tammy on their site
I don't know where you looked, but here is the page for the lens:

AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom; Tamron USA, Inc.

Click where it says "Specifications", and you'll see it lists the Filter Diameter as 62.
02-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
schitzengiggles: I only want the ND filter to try and snag some daytime lightning shots. None of the retail shops have them here, so I'll have to order some online from the U.S.
Okay, now you have the 3 sizes you need, the rest should be simple. For the ND you seek, to capture lightning, do you know what stop you want? If not, especially in places like Ebay, you can buy a kit which will contain several stops.
02-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schitzengiggles Quote
I only want the ND filter to try and snag some daytime lightning shots. None of the retail shops have them here, so I'll have to order some online from the U.S.

The tammy is a 70-300di with a macro switch.
That is 62mm. I have one.