Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #1

Flash

Hello,

I have only posted a few times but I have really enjoyed reading and learning from everyone on this site. I have a k110D to learn with. I eventually plan to move up but cant right now. Being on a budget I cant afford the 540FGZ or 360FGZ I believe it is. My question is this:

Are there any good after market flash units that I could purchase that would be suitable for my K110? I have heard about the Sigma EF530 and 500 Super but wanted some comments from the pros. Your help both negative and positive would be very much appreciated. I am looking for a good flash to use indoors at a basketball game or graduation.

Thank you,

Kevin

02-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are many more choices now for P-TTL than there were a couple of years ago. I believe these same flashes may be available under different names--and I can't vouch for just how good they are but I would take a look at Vivitar DF 283 or DF 383. They will be missing some more advanced features like wireless support and probably HSS (high-speed sync) too. Some of the reviews mention issues with the shoe contacts, don't know how common the issue is.
02-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevmann Quote
Hello,

I have only posted a few times but I have really enjoyed reading and learning from everyone on this site. I have a k110D to learn with. I eventually plan to move up but cant right now. Being on a budget I cant afford the 540FGZ or 360FGZ I believe it is. My question is this:

Are there any good after market flash units that I could purchase that would be suitable for my K110? I have heard about the Sigma EF530 and 500 Super but wanted some comments from the pros. Your help both negative and positive would be very much appreciated. I am looking for a good flash to use indoors at a basketball game or graduation.

Thank you,

Kevin
Looks like you've pigeon holed yourself (based on your short list) into the Sigma 530. As Andrew says though, many are P-TTL compatible though feature wise, the Sigma 530 is the most like the AF540. Looking at the B&H website, the 500 isn't even available for the Pentax. Nikon only. Out of Production??? I tried the 500 on my K10d several years ago but opted to pay the extra scratch for the AF540. Later the AF360 came with a camera outfit (another way to put your hands on one).

Decide what it is you want to do with a flash, pick a price point, then go find the flash to fit it.

IN your apparent price range, the METZ-48 also looks like a tasty option..

Good luck..