Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by perception-of-light Quote
I am in dire need of some type of pro editing software. I currently use IPhoto just for organization because i like keeping all my photos natural but now that i have started up a business it seems only fare to offer editing packages. Does any one kno were i could possibly download PhotoShop or Aperture 2 (for MAC)..possibly for FREE
I know you're not at stage yet, but if you happen to wind up in a photographic or otherwise art-related university program, changes are you'll get free access to all Adobe products (photoshop, indesign, etc.) through an academic alliance prgram. Even if not, student discounts are huge. You can probably also get student discounts on licensing as a high school student.

See: student software, academic software | Adobe. $200 for a photoshop license (extended), rather than
$1000, or 50% off the creative suite at the k-12 level.

You can also take the free route and use GIMP, which is like photoshop but with slightly different controls.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Try The GIMP

There is an open-source program called The GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program). I have used the Windoze version and it is pretty powerful, although the learning curve can be a little steep. Its not really intuitively obvious how to use it.

It is available for the Mac: GIMP - for Mac OS X

While it is not as full-featured as Photoshop, it may be enough do the job, at least for a while. And it IS free.
02-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
perception-of-light,

Hey, we're all pretty straight forward here and keep it on the up and up. Don't think that we're getting on you for wanting something free when you're in a financial bind. We just think that honesty is the best policy. Heck, if I had a spare license for PSE 8, I would give it to you. I think that it's fantastic that at 16 you are getting all your stuff together and forging ahead in the photographic worl. More power to ya!!

Keep clickin'
02-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by perception-of-light Quote
briscleto...i really am 16 and the reason i dont know were to find this crap is because i have a mac....and trust me..it is 10 times harder to find crap for mac.....and JeffJS ....look i know i may be coming off the wrong way in this thread...i happen to have all my stuff straight these programs are just the cherry on the top of my sunday...and all this freeware doesnt seem to download properly..i think my computer is using the saffari safe mode crap....im just going to see how i can possibly buy the programs ... i just dont see what members get from jumping on other members
Is this a school issued computer? Or have the 'rents put restrictions on your account? You can download the software on another computer and put it on a thumb drive or CD. As far as it being hard to find SW for the Mac, I've never had any trouble, legal or illegal. Course, I've been on the Internet for 15 years. When I started with the Internet all we had was 28.8K modems and I'm sure there are members here who used 300baud acoustic couplers.

BTW, The GIMP requires X11. If you don't have it installed you need the OS X install disc. As others have mentioned PSE 8 is inexpensive, I've seen it for $50 recently. Aperture 3 is $179 with the student discount. Pixelmator is an excellent editor for $59.

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-21-2010 at 08:03 AM.
02-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for all your help guys...and yes its a personal computer but i have the version of OS X that came out about a year and a half ago