Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 02:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x Filters

I just recently purchased a Pentax K-x with the 18-55 starter kit and I was wondering which types of filter should I get. I found this on amazon:

Amazon.com: Pentax K100D, K100D Super - 52mm High Resolution 3-piece Filter Set (UV, Fluorescent, Polarizer) - Black: Electronics

and was wondering if it will work on the K-x model and if its worth the price.

02-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
I just recently purchased a Pentax K-x with the 18-55 starter kit and I was wondering which types of filter should I get. I found this on amazon:

Amazon.com: Pentax K100D, K100D Super - 52mm High Resolution 3-piece Filter Set (UV, Fluorescent, Polarizer) - Black: Electronics

Hi, I bought the same kit a few months ago.

I just ended up buying a HOYA UV Filter for fairly cheap, and stuck with that.
You want a fairly high quality UV Filter, as the cheaper ones may degrade IQ.

Filter's aren't really dependent on cameras, but rather the thread size of your lens. Those are all 52mm filters, and the K-x's kit lens is 52mm filter thread, so they should all work.
Those seem pretty cheap, but I've never used that specific one so I can't really say on quality.

I'd just buy a branded UV filter and leave it at that. It's just for lens protection mainly, although kit lenses can be picked up for about $40 on these forums anyway.
02-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just recently purchased a Pentax K-x with the 18-55 starter kit and I was wondering which types of filter should I get.
You don't need any filters in general. If after learning more about photography and taking lots of pictures, you start running into problem that something you have read leads you to believe can be solved through the use of a specific filter, *then* you should buy that specific filter. Chances are excellent that won't happen, but if it does, you'll know, if you understand the basic purposes of the standard filters. Any book on photography should explain the specialized situations in which polarizing and neutral density filters can be useful.

Since this is a basic beginning question on photography, not specific to any DSLR, I'm moving it to the beginner's forum.
02-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I made the mistake of buying cheap filters that made all of the photos I took very blurry. Wasted money. I recommend a good Hoya, Tiffen, Vivitar, Quantaray, Sigma etc Uv filter just to protect the lens front element. If you take landscape shots (blue skies, green fields, flowers, etc) get a good circular polarizer. You'll be happier spending a bit more on filters than wondering if the camera is messed up.

I agree with Marc, but I am old school abd prefer using a filter on the camera initially.

Last edited by fccwpe; 02-20-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: update
02-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with Marc on this -- don't buy ANY filters until/unless you know that you need them. (Spoken by someone whose Domke bag has an entire end pocket stuffed with filters.) I'll go further -- you'll NEVER 'need' a UV filter on a digital camera, never ever. UV filters are ONLY useful with film. You MIGHT want a Daylight filter as lens protection, but really only in gritty/dusty environments.

I wrote this post [ https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/90334-filters.html#post920432 ] which I'm thinking of expanding into a comprehensive article on using filters with digital cameras. Dog knows I've got enough of them, like a couple full shoe boxes...