Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Front and rear focus problem?

Hi.
While reading the forums, many are refring to front and rear focus problems. How do I distinguish between the two?

02-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Front Focus (FF) = camera tried to focus on a given subject but actually focused in front of it
Back Focus (BF) = camera tried to focus on a given subject, but actually focused in back of it
User Error (UE) = you wanted camera to focus on a given subject, but it actually chose to focus elsewhere, since it can't read your mind

This isn't really a lens issue - most FF and BF problems are probably issues with the camera, not the lens. And most *reports* of FF and BF are probably actually actually UE.

The way you figure out if you have an FF or BF problem is to downlaod a good focus test chart like the one at focustestchart.com, or read a bunch of threads where people try to explain alternative methods of testing that ideally avoid UE, but usually fail.

I'm moving this to the beginner's forum, because it seems most appriate there. Could even be a sticky...
02-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. There are a lot of abbreviations used in the threads, and it isn't that easy to catch them all. A dictionary would be helpful :-)

I would agree that UE is the biggest errors of them all, focusing is tricky, but why squeeze that trigger if wysiNOTwyw?