Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
Forum Member

Inexpensive AF zoom lens

As the title says, I'm looking for something that's comparable with the "FA J" or "F, FA, D FA" according to the lens compatibility chart.

My lovely PZ-1p came with only an 135mm 3.5 M lens so I'm unable to learn all it's features without something that auto focuses and auto zooms.

I don't have a particular range in mind but just something suitable to shoot with on foot and hand hold so no big zooms and preferably fast.

That Tamron thread has me wanting one but since I'll be shooting film and using the extent of the lens it may not be up to the task?

What price range am I looking at and what are some good brands/lenses in particular to look for? There seems to be many different grades, especially from 3rd party lenses so its left me a little lost.

02-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could check the lens review databases - in many instances an average price is indicated:

Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - Main Index

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/
02-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I understand the PZ-1p is a film camera.

In the late 80's, a 35-70mm lens became the standard kit lens (on film cameras). So that's the indication what to look for. Before that time, a 50mm was the standard kit lens.

35mm is only slightly wide angle on a film body, so the next one to look for would be something like 28-70mm (or so).

BTW, fast and inexpensive don't go well together (in general)!

If you're not stuck with zooms, I suggest a 50mm/1.7 and at a later stage you can add a 28mm/2.8. I have lived a longtime with only that combination on a Minolta film camera.

Hope this helps, WimS
02-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As far as I know, only a handful of the old FA lenses supported the Powerzoom function. The only one I have is the 28-75/2.8, which is not counted among the cheaper options…

Ben

02-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The FA 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 is quite sharp and inexpensive .
02-24-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Haha, I realize fast and inexpensize are mutually exclusive, which is why I was looking into 3rd party lenses. Powerzoom would just be cool to have so I guess its not entirely necessary either.

I do have a few screwmount primes in 50 and 250 so I'll probably get an adapter to use those but since they're all MF I was looking into a zoom just to play around and find out what range I really need before settling on a few nice primes. Or maybe I just need one in the 70-90 range and a wider 28 and be done with it?

The 28-80 looks like a good option, I think I'll hunt for one of those!
02-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Try the FA 28-70 f/4 - might run you $100 or so, but a very nice lens. Also the F 35-70 f/3.5-4.5, that is just a fantastic little zoom it its range, probably only $50. Even the F 35-80, which gets a really bad rap, can make nice pictures outside - you should be able to pick one of those up for less than $20.