Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #1

Macro advice for newbie

Hi guys,

I'm new to the site and the first thing I'm asking for is advice, sorry . I have a K200D with the SMC DA 18-55mm ALII kit lens and also a SMC DA 50-200mm ED.

I really like macro photography and really want to start taking some shots with my new camera. Now I know (at least I think I do) that I can't do that with the lenses I have now so I bought some extension tubes not realising that you need a lens with an aperture ring to use them. I only have about $100 US to spend and I know a proper macro lens is out of my budget. I would appreciate any advice on how I can get started. Are macro filters any good, what affordable "ebay available" lens would help, can I use the lenses I have to do a reverse set up?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

02-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/74221-raynox-macro-club.html
02-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums Deadsnott!
Try the Raynox DCR-150 or the Raynox DCR-250.
They should work on both kit lenses you have.
Costs less than a $100, maybe about $50+.
They are really good.
02-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Raybo was faster than me on the reply.
Link should help you.
It attaches on front of your kit lenses.
Enjoy!

02-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

And don't forget that a tripod is a MUST for macro work.
02-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #6

Original Poster
Wow, that was quick! Thanks for the fast response guys. Just been looking at some of the pics on the Raynox macro club and they're great! I'm on eBay as we speak ordering the dcr 250. Thanks again, much appreciated.
02-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

A recent thread on extension tubes. Extension tubes with pkA mount support the lenses mentioned in the original post.
02-22-2010, 02:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
And don't forget that a tripod is a MUST for macro work.
Tripod, yes, sometimes; often, even. But for walking-around macro work, with a Raynox DCR-250 on my FA50, or the M42 Vivitar 90mm auto macro on the K20D, I just use a ringlite. Stop way down, move in close, fire before anything moves too far. Tripods are great in controllable situations; ringlites are great in the wild.

02-22-2010, 05:19 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Tripod, yes, sometimes; often, even. But for walking-around macro work, with a Raynox DCR-250 on my FA50, or the M42 Vivitar 90mm auto macro on the K20D, I just use a ringlite. Stop way down, move in close, fire before anything moves too far. Tripods are great in controllable situations; ringlites are great in the wild.
Hi RioRico, Will a ringlite attach over a raynox dsr-250? I wondered if the ringlite attaches by threading in to the lens and the raynox is already attached...or is the raynox double threaded? Sorry for these stupid questions, its just that I dont want to waste money on equipment I can't use. Thanks
02-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deadsnott Quote
Will a ringlite attach over a raynox dsr-250?
The Raynox has a 49mm filter thread. You can attach accessories to it, ringlight included.

I even added a "quick attach" feature to my ringlights (I have 2) using the Raynox universal adapter. See how here.
02-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
The Raynox has a 49mm filter thread. You can attach accessories to it, ringlight included.
My ringlite, an old Phoenix RL-59P (US$40 on eBay 1.5 years ago) included adapters for 46, 49, 52, and 55mm lenses, as well as its native 59mm. I added a 62mm adapter for my Vivitar 90mm auto macro lens, and sometimes thread it onto 37mm mounts. It has no trouble screwing onto the Raynox's 49mm thread. The Phoenix has no front thread, so any filters etc must be placed behind the ringlite. Different ringlites come in assorted sizes; as investment ads say, "Your results may vary".

I'll mention that I sometimes screw a flash bracket under the camera, with a triggered flash positioned off to the side, to strobe when the camera-mounted ringlite fires. This mitigates the often 'flat' illumination of the ringlite

QuoteOriginally posted by Deadsnott Quote
Hi RioRico, Will a ringlite attach over a raynox dsr-250? I wondered if the ringlite attaches by threading in to the lens and the raynox is already attached...or is the raynox double threaded?
The Raynox DCR-250 (I can't speak for other Raynox models) rear-threads onto its 'universal' spring-loaded adapter, and has a 49mm front thread, as SOldBear says. When used with my FA50 or Viv90 lenses, I'll keep the Raynox, adapters, and ringlite all threaded together as one unit. Squeeze the Raynox universal, and the whole unit comes right off, for non-macro work. No problem!

Last edited by RioRico; 02-22-2010 at 10:12 AM.
02-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i guess it's a bit too late, but i am partial to extension rings myself. i tend to use cheap m42 extension rings, with cheap m42 (good) prime lenses (i favor 135/2.8's, but the fast 50's are good too, depends how far you like to stand from your subject). the only other thing you need is an adapter from m42 to pentax bayonet, a tripod, and patience. lately i managed to get my hands on a set of bellows for m42, instead of the rings, and i'm much happier

here's a recent example:

hope this helps. have fun.
03-04-2010, 03:07 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks nanok (and everyone else), I have ordered the Raynox dcr-250 and can't wait to get it! Actually my girlfriend bought it for my birthday so I have another week until I get my hands on it! I also recently bought a 50mm M f/1.7 prime for only 26 euro inc shipping, which I love, and now I can use the extension tubes I have. I'm still having fun trying to get DOF and exposure right though! Hopefully I will have some pics of decent enough quality to post here soon.

Thanks again for all the advice!