Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K7 with hereditary lenses (non-Pentax)

I've inherited my father's Pentax Z-10 and associated lenses. I’m looking into purchasing a K7, however two of the lenses I’ve received are not Pentax.

One of the lenses is a macro (sorry, the only information I have on this is “2x APK Macro Teleplus MC7 with a code 5802205. I also has in green 1:1 - 1:3 0.45m/50mm, and in white 1:1.5 - 1:20 infinity / 50mm).

The other is a Takumar Bayonet zoom (1:4.5 80-200mm)

They both have a K mounting – ie they fit the K7DLSR but the K7 does not digitally read the aperture on these lenses. I was under the impression that you can manually override the aperture. Is this correct and would these type of lens suit this camera?

Sorry if some of this information is not presented in an accurate manner, I don't have any of the original manuals with the lenses and am fairly new to photography.

02-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by salsd Quote
I've inherited my father's Pentax Z-10 and associated lenses. I’m looking into purchasing a K7, however two of the lenses I’ve received are not Pentax.

One of the lenses is a macro (sorry, the only information I have on this is “2x APK Macro Teleplus MC7 with a code 5802205. I also has in green 1:1 - 1:3 0.45m/50mm, and in white 1:1.5 - 1:20 infinity / 50mm).

They both have a K mounting – ie they fit the K7DLSR but the K7 does not digitally read the aperture on these lenses. I was under the impression that you can manually override the aperture. Is this correct and would these type of lens suit this camera?

Sorry if some of this information is not presented in an accurate manner, I don't have any of the original manuals with the lenses and am fairly new to photography.
If your Takumar is a Takumar-A then it can be used in full auto modes on any pentax DSLR. Minus Auto Focus of course. If not, only manual mode in which you have to physically turn the aperture ring (make sure you set custom menu function to allow aperture ring).

Your other is not a lens but a teleconverter. What the information is telling you is that if you have a 50mm lens mounted on it, the ratio numbers are your macro magnification. Not all TCs do this. The APK? or is it PK/A? either way, if it has the contacts to pass info to the camera, it will allow auto modes such as Av to be used (with an A type or later lens). If you mount an A 50mm f2.0 lens on the converter and set it to 1:1 you will have a 100mm f4 Macro lens capable of 1:1 reproduction.

Here's an example from a similar TC and a pentax m 50 f2.0

Click image for full sized view

02-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums Salsd.
As already explained above, the other lens you have is a 2X TC (teleconverter).
It multiplies whatever lens you mount together with it by a factor of 2X.
As for using manual lenses on your K-7, here is the link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html
02-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by salsd Quote
Takumar is the old brand name for Pentax-made lenses. Yes, you have a fine vintage Pentax lens! Well, maybe not so fine -- the single review here [ Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 80-200mm F4.5 Bayonet ] only rates it 2/10. Maybe yours is better. We can hope...

02-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since this thread is not just about the camera per se, but also about lenses - and is a basic beginner question at that - I'm moving it to the beginner's forum.
02-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Marc, sorry for posting in the wrong spot - but appreciate everyones assitance.
02-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You can use old manual lenses on your K-7. You will need to change a custom setting to enable it to work. See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html

With those lenses, you cannot set aperture in-camera. Furthermore, you are either relegated to shooting wide open in P/Av/Tv mode. If you shoot in "M" mode, you can set the aperture via the aperture ring, then stop down to meter by pressing the green button (I think). It's a bit tedious, but it will work.

- Jason