Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 01:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 Bulb mode Odd behaviour

I own a K7, and i purchased a wired / wireless remote ("hahnel hw 433 c80") It plugs into the K7's remote shutter port, and you can then either use the wired dongle to focus / shoot, or use the wireless remote to focus / shoot.

It all works rather brilliantly except for bulb mode, This remote does not "latch" so one has to hold the button in for the duration of the shot.

It should not be a problem, as the K7 has the following options under menu C item 17 - Remote control in Bulb
1. mode 1 "push remote control release button once to start exposure and a second time to end
2. mode 2 "push and hold remote control release button for exposure. Release button to end

I honestly thought mode 1 would be perfect, push to open, push again to close, but it doesnt work.

As you found as soon as i trip the shutter via the remote, the shutter opens, and as soon as i release the button it closes. (as if mode 2 was in force)
The behaviour is identical if i set it to mode 2.

The behaviour is identical with the initial 1.02 and the recent 1.03 firmware

Does the wired shutter not constitute being a "remote" in pentaxes opinion ?
Does only their own Infra red remote work correctly with this option ?
Is it a firmware bug ?

Any clues, or do i just buy a latching remote ?

02-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I can only address your first point

The cable switch is indeed not a remote control. The cable release terminal can be seen as an extension of the shutter release button and it's more than likely that it's 'directly' connected to the two switches of the shutter release button of the camera (one switch for halfway press and one switch for full press); at least that's how I have always seen it and your problem proves it.

The signal of the IR receiver travels a different path in the camera.

So anything connected to the cable release terminal is in parallel with the shutter release. So if the part of your IR setup that connects to the camera does not provide latching, you don't have latching. And if your IR system provides latching, you will have latching.

Pentax does not have a need to latch the 'signals' of their CS205 cable switch in the camera as the switch already has the latch built-in. It only has this need for use with their IR remote control.

Having said that, it also means that point three is answered, it's not a bug.
02-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ahhhh, thanks for that, it clears up my query nicely, i half way suspected that would be the answer as the on camera shutter release button exhibited the exact some behaviour as the wired one.

So my options are buy the infra red genuine pentax item, or get one with a latch.

Thanks sterretje
02-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Some time ago I bought one of the Chinese remotes (YongNuo) - it has the dongle that plugs into the camera port and the wireless handheld remote. I found that if the camera is in bulb mode and I press and hold the remote button for about a 5 count, it than "latches" for however long I want the exposure - I simply press the remote button again to unlatch the shutter.

I've used this on my old ist DS, my K200D, my k10D and now my K20D - don't know if the K-7 is the same (don't know why it wouldn't be??).

02-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfworx Quote
Ahhhh, thanks for that, it clears up my query nicely, i half way suspected that would be the answer as the on camera shutter release button exhibited the exact some behaviour as the wired one.

So my options are buy the infra red genuine pentax item, or get one with a latch.
Right, the custom option you mentioned in your OP relates only to the IR remote, not to one that plugs into the shutter port.

I got my locking wired remote on eBay for $6.95. Works great. I also have an IR Pentax remote that I got on the marketplace of this forum. Pentaman frequently sells them for $10 or less, including shipping, all brand new. I also have an RF remote, which acts the same way as the wired one (since the receiver plugs into the shutter port), except that one's button does not lock.
02-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you, i'm happier knowing im not doing something stupid, and i dont mind having two remotes for different purposes at all.
02-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Some time ago I bought one of the Chinese remotes (YongNuo) - it has the dongle that plugs into the camera port and the wireless handheld remote. I found that if the camera is in bulb mode and I press and hold the remote button for about a 5 count, it than "latches" for however long I want the exposure - I simply press the remote button again to unlatch the shutter.

I've used this on my old ist DS, my K200D, my k10D and now my K20D - don't know if the K-7 is the same (don't know why it wouldn't be??).
Funny enough the one i have seemed to do that once, but as i was trying different things and kind of got lost in what i was doing i did not really think more about it until you mentioned that!

I must have a another go armed with that info, Thanks!!
02-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfworx Quote
Funny enough the one i have seemed to do that once, but as i was trying different things and kind of got lost in what i was doing i did not really think more about it until you mentioned that!

I must have a another go armed with that info, Thanks!!
FYI, I discovered that if the battery is kinda low, it won't "latch", although, it will still let you remotely take a photo.

02-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
FYI, I discovered that if the battery is kinda low, it won't "latch", although, it will still let you remotely take a photo.
Ok, one assumes "new stuff" has a good battery, but i should check as its not always the case is it ?

Thanks
03-02-2010, 06:38 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Solved

To bring this one to a close, I have (thanks to some very helpful people above (ChipB) discoved the hahnel remote control is worth its weight in gold!.

Holding the shutter release in on the wireless part of the remote for a few seconds (it indicates this by turning an led off) you are then able to release the button, and the camera shutter remains open. And pressing the remotes button once more will close the shutter! Finally i can use bulb mode as it was intended!

Thank you hahnel for an excellent piece of kit, and thank you everybody who replied and shed light on this for me.