Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #1

Accessories for cleaning dust

I just bought a k-x and the 2 kit lens. I will be moving to Chennai in India soon.

Its a hot (temp 75 - 104 F) and avg rel. humidity of 70% all through the year. It is a very dusty environment as well.

Down the line I may plan to sell the kit lens if I do decide to upgrade. So I have to keep them in good shape to get good pictures as well as a good resale price.

What do I need for keeping the lens in good shape? Hoods, blowers, daylight filters, etc.

Thanks

Last edited by rahulz5; 02-23-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Updating title because I feel its too general
02-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #2

Original Poster
Just updated the title to be more specific and giving it a bump.
I found these 2, LensPEN Lens Cleaning System and Giottos rocket blaster

Are these safe to use? Also are there better alternatives for maintenance.
02-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

imho lens should always be used with hood. protective filter too for blowing sand & spray.

Rocket blower, Beauty Brush, PEC pads, Eclipse.

Airtight/waterproof Pelican case
Renewable dehumidifier: National Marine Products Inc EDV300 - Eva-Dry EDV 300 Mini Dehumidifier - Electric Air Dehumidifiers - Eva-Dry MOMENTUM MARKETING
Temperature/humidity gauge: National Marine Products Inc Compact Hygro-Thermometer - Thermometers Humidity Monitor
02-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rahulz5 Quote
Just updated the title to be more specific and giving it a bump.
I found these 2, LensPEN Lens Cleaning System and Giottos rocket blaster

Are these safe to use? Also are there better alternatives for maintenance.
I would not worry too much about the humidity, as long as you keep your lenses dry while in storage.
The big issue is dust. It can not only get on your sensor (for which you can get all types of cleaning mechanisms), it can also penetrate into your lenses.
Dust in the lens it is impossible to remove. Only by a Pentax repair center at high cost.

As far as the Giotto's go, I've got one. Right after purchase it's rubber felt a little sticky.
I tried to clean my K10D sensor, removing all dust but splashing a small and very sticky rubber particle on the sensor
I needed to buy wet swipes to get it removed.

Now (months later) the rubber feels solid and it loosens no sticky particles any more.

The morale? Giotto's can bring you from bad to worse, however wet swipes can clean anything! I'd get a couple of those before leaving.

I've seen people working with a protecting plastic covers.

The other (very expensive) option is to buy a environmental proof kit: a K-7 and DA* or WR lenses with it...

02-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
The morale? Giotto's can bring you from bad to worse, however wet swipes can clean anything! I'd get a couple of those before leaving.
I thought usage of wet wipes voids warranty ?

I'm a clumsy person. So wet wipes sounds scary to me
02-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a semi-related question about humidity, but during shooting. I tried shooting some flowers in a green house over the weekend (K-x w/ kit lens), but of course my lens kept fogging up. Is there an accessory or something to help prevent this?
02-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wet wipes are for stuff that Giottos can not remove. Should not have to use them too often, just follow directions that come with them.

Any time your lens fogs up, just let the camera sit and adjust to ambient temperature. In a bag, preferably, to prevent condensation buildup.

Cheers, Mike.
02-25-2010, 05:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Definitely don't use wet wipes all of the time. I have used a wet cleaning on my K20 sensor one time with a particularly adherent piece of dust, but in general, the rocket blower is adequate. The biggest thing is to be certain that you change lenses in "safe" environments. Don't take your lens off out doors with wind and dust swirling around. The kx isn't weather sealed, but you should do well with some basic care.

02-25-2010, 06:59 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

My strategy in such an environment would be based on silica gel & zip-loc plastic bags.
02-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Living in the tropics means high heat and high humidity. I'm in Singapore, which is near the Equator, and all of us over here know first hand what can happen to lenses if you leave them lying around. These conditions are conducive to fungal growth developing on your lenses. The most important accessory is to invest in an electronic dry cabinet. It will allow you to store your cameras/lenses at between 40-45% RH when not in use.

Digihub Singapore

オートドライ 全自動防湿庫製品一覧|東洋リビング株式会社
02-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #11

Original Poster
thanks for all the info guys