Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Yes, Indeed I am! the dark room looks like a dark washroom! smells like one too... went in today... and got some fluid on my hand and it is green now!!! oh I see what you mean there, is there such thing as a filter that filters everything except for black and white?
Are you using C-41 process film (Kodak CN)? The only chemical I can imagine changing your skin color is the bleach from the C41 process (which I think is pretty toxic). Most black and white films use a process of developer, stopper, and fixer. None of which, unless very prolonged exposure would turn your skin green (dye it). That or possibly toner in making prints.

Uhm, No. It's the silver based coating on the film that makes it black and white film. Very simply put, Different colors and shades affect each particle of silver differently. When you develop the film you are basically washing the silver away, leaving the negative image. My memory may be backwards on this.. The more silver you wash away (so to speak) the lighter the image on the negative and hence, darker on the print. The stop bath stops that process. The fixer basically fuses the image onto the negative. The fixer is then washed away (as it too is a developer of sorts).

The color filters serve to change the makeup of the light hitting the film. I don't know how far your class will go into it but there are a lot of things you can do with processing. You can use different developers to affect contrast, grain, push the ISO, etc. You have to plan for these things of course. For example, you cannot push the ISO on a single frame of a roll of 35mm film. Different wet papers will affect your final print too. In addition to, the color of the light you use to print your photos. On multigrade papers you can go from dead flat no contrast to almost pure black and pure white. Fun stuff.

I'm glad that these types of classes still exist because they kind of force the budding photographer to put some thought into the final image. I think Everyone should begin photography this way.

02-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Are you using C-41 process film (Kodak CN)? The only chemical I can imagine changing your skin color is the bleach from the C41 process (which I think is pretty toxic). Most black and white films use a process of developer, stopper, and fixer. None of which, unless very prolonged exposure would turn your skin green (dye it). That or possibly toner in making prints.

Uhm, No. It's the silver based coating on the film that makes it black and white film. Very simply put, Different colors and shades affect each particle of silver differently. When you develop the film you are basically washing the silver away, leaving the negative image. My memory may be backwards on this.. The more silver you wash away (so to speak) the lighter the image on the negative and hence, darker on the print. The stop bath stops that process. The fixer basically fuses the image onto the negative. The fixer is then washed away (as it too is a developer of sorts).

The color filters serve to change the makeup of the light hitting the film. I don't know how far your class will go into it but there are a lot of things you can do with processing. You can use different developers to affect contrast, grain, push the ISO, etc. You have to plan for these things of course. For example, you cannot push the ISO on a single frame of a roll of 35mm film. Different wet papers will affect your final print too. In addition to, the color of the light you use to print your photos. On multigrade papers you can go from dead flat no contrast to almost pure black and pure white. Fun stuff.

I'm glad that these types of classes still exist because they kind of force the budding photographer to put some thought into the final image. I think Everyone should begin photography this way.

Yeah! I wished I could take pictures with pure manual cameras forever, my dad says it's pretty much useless now since digital cameras have become so easily obtained and the fact that most casual photographers are the snapshot photographers. Yeah... I'm 16 but I should have been born back then ;( I play guitar and take pictures with old cameras, I love old ideas.

Actually, this is a high school course, I am very lucky because our school is one of the only schools left to have a darkroom!
02-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah! I wished I could take pictures with pure manual cameras forever, my dad says it's pretty much useless now since digital cameras have become so easily obtained and the fact that most casual photographers are the snapshot photographers. Yeah... I'm 16 but I should have been born back then ;( I play guitar and take pictures with old cameras, I love old ideas.

Actually, this is a high school course, I am very lucky because our school is one of the only schools left to have a darkroom!
You might enjoy this thread..
02-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You might enjoy this thread..
LOL thanks for the recommendations, sadly though, I cannot currently get pictures up of my guitars ;P Need a film scanner or something.

02-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Yeah! I wished I could take pictures with pure manual cameras forever, my dad says it's pretty much useless now...
What's stopping you? You don't always have to shoot just one camera. You can shoot many. Manual cameras are fun. I still shoot them all the time. And they are still good at BW photography. In today's automagic world of photography where composition is about the only thing you do besides going hog-wild in the graphics editor, you still can find some reward in metering a scene, deciding where you're going to place the values of the scene, developing the film yourself and seeing the results that you envisioned before you took the shot. But you have to learn that and you won't get it out-of-the-box.
02-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
What's stopping you? You don't always have to shoot just one camera. You can shoot many. Manual cameras are fun. I still shoot them all the time. And they are still good at BW photography. In today's automagic world of photography where composition is about the only thing you do besides going hog-wild in the graphics editor, you still can find some reward in metering a scene, deciding where you're going to place the values of the scene, developing the film yourself and seeing the results that you envisioned before you took the shot. But you have to learn that and you won't get it out-of-the-box.
Haha, I hope to be a professional photographer someday... but it's not my primary goal right now... Long live the manual cameras! I hope I don't become a maniac at photoshop or something.