Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #1

Explain battery options for K7 please

Wondering what my options are on powering a K7. As far as just buying and extra D-LI90, which is a 1700, is this the only size available? are larger capacity batteries an option? And what about using a Grip? Ive read alot of reviews about the 3rd party grips being sketchy. Can anyone give their opinion or their methods? Is it better to have multiple batteries and no grip or a grip?

Does using a grip allow you to double your capacity? It will take AA and D-LI90 packs? 1 or 2?

On my P&S i would always carry 3 batteries at all times. The original was a 1500 and then i purchased 2 extra 3400 packs which lasted longer of course. Wondering if i can or should do the same if i get into a DSLR.

Im unfamiliar and new to dslr so excuse my ignorance. Just trying to undestand it all. thank you

02-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jas Quote
Wondering what my options are on powering a K7. As far as just buying and extra D-LI90, which is a 1700, is this the only size available? are larger capacity batteries an option? And what about using a Grip? Ive read alot of reviews about the 3rd party grips being sketchy. Can anyone give their opinion or their methods? Is it better to have multiple batteries and no grip or a grip?

Does using a grip allow you to double your capacity? It will take AA and D-LI90 packs? 1 or 2?

On my P&S i would always carry 3 batteries at all times. The original was a 1500 and then i purchased 2 extra 3400 packs which lasted longer of course. Wondering if i can or should do the same if i get into a DSLR.

Im unfamiliar and new to dslr so excuse my ignorance. Just trying to undestand it all. thank you
I bought a couple of these the same time I ordered the camera. Yes, this IS an endorsement for that particular seller. Also bought a hang on the wall charger from him (I hate the pentax supplied one and haven't even unboxed it). Later I bought a Pentax battery grip from Amazon.

The grip will hold 1 D-Li90 or 6 AA batteries. I cannot report in the generic grip as I didn't go that route. The grip makes the camera more comfortable for me to hold (hated the grips on the K10/K20). I think the last time I charged the batteries was 3 weeks ago. I've easily taken 1000 shots since then and the battery meter still shows full. Don't know if they really Are (doubt it) but they seem to be standing the test of use time. Your mileage may vary of course depending on what you do. I don't spend a lot of time taking video for instance. Nice to have when I want it I guess but it's an add on I could easily live without. I don't process my images in the camera. Again, the pretty digital filters are fun to play with but I prefer my own processing on the computer. That said however, the grip is Well worth the investment. At least it was for me. The only negative I'll say possibly (and this is a small one) about the grip, is that the AA option isn't going to do you any good if you leave the tray at home (like I do). It Is an extra piece to carry in the bag. I guess you could go with the Li90 in the camera and AAs in the grip but I haven't tried that yet. Having 3 proprietary batteries has always served me quite well with the K10d and K20d.

02-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
jas

Original Poster
Ok first I like the Train pics. Love the K36/37s. And i had to do a double take on the Mikado(4-8-4) from the side. I thought it was real.

Ok so i imagined the Pentax grip would be bullet proof, and your saying that There is only one size Li Ion battery for the k7 then? Running the grip helps with your feel of the camera more or less and you can run 2 packs together. So basically i could buy 3 packs with no grip (for now) and just have to swap batteries more often? What was the reason you didnt like the pentax charger?

thanks the reply
02-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Ok first I like the Train pics. Love the K36/37s. And i had to do a double take on the Mikado(4-8-4) from the side. I thought it was real.

Ok so i imagined the Pentax grip would be bullet proof, and your saying that There is only one size Li Ion battery for the k7 then? Running the grip helps with your feel of the camera more or less and you can run 2 packs together. So basically i could buy 3 packs with no grip (for now) and just have to swap batteries more often? What was the reason you didnt like the pentax charger?

thanks the reply
Wow, Thanks!! (the 4-8-4 is a Northern wheel arrangement, a Mikado is a 2-8-2 ) The K36 was taken at the Colorado RR museum in Golden Co with an Olympus OM-1n.

Yes, there is only one battery type that works with the K7. I was actually a little disappointed (not much though) that they changed the format from the K10/K20. I have huge hands so I found the bottom of my right hand cramping when I held the K7 without the grip. That's really the catalyst for my purchase and that problem has gone away. The battery actually lasts a good long time (again depends on your usage) without the grip. I don't have (and won't bother to generate) shot counts per charge but having at least one backup, I've never been without power for the camera. I actually think that Pentax has improved the power consumption characteristics of the K7 over the K10/K20.

02-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
jas

Original Poster
Oh crap, sorry about that...and i call myself a rail fan.

Ok well thats basically the info i was looking for. So ill for sure look for another D-LI90 to have on hand. Do you save your files to jpeg in camera ever? that would prob take up some power, no? thanks for the reply.
02-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Oh crap, sorry about that...and i call myself a rail fan.

Ok well thats basically the info i was looking for. So ill for sure look for another D-LI90 to have on hand. Do you save your files to jpeg in camera ever? that would prob take up some power, no? thanks for the reply.
Don't worry about it, you're not the first to make that mistake, won't be the last..

I shoot RAW+JPG so whatever it saves, it saves. I also have the CA correction turned on so the processing takes a little while longer than just saving a file. Actually, I didn't (at first) realize it was there and it defaults on out of the box (I've never gone in and turned it on). Just pulled the camera out, stuck in a battery and card, Put a lens on, and began shooting. I don't think processing and write times eat up too much power.

02-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
jas

Original Poster
Do you notice a real difference with the CA on in the image? thanks
02-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
Inactive Account

THESE photos were taken before I updated the FW v1.03. A small caveat here is they were mostly wide open. The FA limited lenses BTW.

THESE were taken After. Different scene, most Not wide open, Same lenses (denoted in title name). I still intend to repeat the first set as conditions allow but haven't been able to yet. However, even in the out of focus areas behind given subjects, I'm not seeing a lot if Any CA.

One can draw their own conclusions as to whether or not it works but from where I'm looking, It does. Before this update, I never really paid a lot of attention to the feature so...

02-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
jas

Original Poster
I can tell the the firmware made a difference. How can you tell if your camera needed the update?
02-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I can tell the the firmware made a difference. How can you tell if your camera needed the update?
I typically just load the latest after I've let others verify it didn't completely screw them up.. Didn't do any real testing to determine need but since I have the stuff to take advantage of the update, I went ahead with it. If I didn't have the FA limited lenses for instance, I probably wouldn't have bothered.
02-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
jas

Original Poster
Cool, thanks Jeff