Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Bought a used lens. Do I need an extended warranty?

Ordered a demo Tamron 17-50/2.8 that comes with a 90-day warranty. 2 year extended warranty is available for an additional $25 or so. Do I need this? Please and thanks.

02-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If a lens has a problem it will be apparent on first use and can then be returned.
Get it, do some focus tests on some general shots with it at various settings, do some pixel peeping to check it out.

You say this has been a demo lens? I would expect that if it had a problem it would have been detected a long time ago.

Good luck.
02-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Usually i agree but $25 is bugger all. Read the fine print, it's a useless warranty if you're paying for shipping to god knows where.
02-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is only $25, but read the Limitation of Liability form completely. After you see what exactly the coverage purchases you, then decide whether it is worth it. The $25 warranty the store offers is 95% likely funded by an insurance company and full of strings attached.

Better yet, go to your insurance agent and ask about a personal articles policy for your camera. They usually start at about $30/yr and that'd get you zero deductible coverage for $3000 on all your photography equipment. If you want to feel safe, spend an extra $5 and do a personal articles policy, where it is pretty much no questions asked support.

02-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks all. I think insurance would be a better option for me. I lose things. A lot.