Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lens Mould?

I'm worried about lens mould... I know I really shouldn't be worrying about this because I'm pretty new to photography... but I plan to buy 2 new lenses and am worried about taking care of them. Any tips besides de-humidifer, storing in cool dark places?

02-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You want to store them where it is reasonably dry and not dark. Fungus likes the dark and moisture. Out on a shelf with caps on should be fine.
02-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #3

Your new lens will come with a desiccant packet, which is supposed to keep the humidity around the lens down. toss that packet into your camera bag, lens bag or whatever container you'll be storing your lenses in.
02-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

You aren't in a really humid environment, so mold shouldn't be much of an issue.
Posts 2 & 3 have given you about all the advice that you need.

02-25-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I bought a big box of desiccant packs on eBay a while back. I often use these to keep electronics free of moisture. In my camera bag, I have a desiccant pack in each main compartment. I recently got one of my RF remote triggers slightly moist and it fried, so now I keep all my camera remotes in a ziplock bag along with a desiccant pack. Those things are dirt cheap, you can find them anywhere for nearly free, and they're pretty useful. Only problem is, there's no way to know when they're no longer effective, so I change them once every 6 months or so.
02-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #6

I may add a slight correction: available light has little to no impact on mold growth. The primary component to controlling mold growth is moisture - remove the moisture, and mold will not grow.
02-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yay, go Canada! for not being very humid... okay thanks guys for the tips! I will take the effort to preserve my lenses.