Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
File numbers

I have a Pentax k 100d super, and I was looking for a particular file number of a photo that I had. When I went to look for my photo on the computer, I realized that when I did a search for that file number, that multiple files would show up, but they would be different pictures. Why does this camera just repeat file numbers after about a year. makes it very hard to sort photos.

Is there a firm ware that could be installed to prevent this from happening.

Frustrated!!!

PP

02-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If the file number is 4 digits, and you shoot more than 9999 images, the numbers will start to repeat.

You could also change the IMGP portion of the file name to YearMonthDate to sort them a bit better. Many free file renamers do it in a batch -- Flexible Renamer v8.1 in particular
02-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

The camera will turn over it's count at 9999 files. It kinda has to, since the file name convention only goes that high.
I suspect that it is also possible on your camera to reset the frame counter back to 0001 in the menu.
One of the nice features of the K20/K7 and possibly the Kx (don't know for sure), is that the file prefix is user settable, so although the camera still turns over every 9999 images, you can set the prefix to keep file names discreet.
02-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
I gathered that, but the first part of the file number is imgp, could it not change the first part of the file??

02-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think there are standards involved. In any case, the solution is to rename the files on import to something that guarantees uniqueness - like including the date as part of the name.
02-25-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think there are standards involved. In any case, the solution is to rename the files on import to something that guarantees uniqueness - like including the date as part of the name.
yep, DCF 2.0 standards in this case. If the image is in sRGB colour space, the filename must be 4 letters and 4 digits. If the image is in AdobeRGB colour space, then the first character must be a _, which means the next 3 characters are letters and the last 4 are digits.

Being able to change the first 4 letters is pretty sweet, because all my files are named GORExxxx.DNG
02-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I just rename my files on import. I use this format:

yyyymmdd-hhmm-####

where "####" is the numeric part of the original filename. In other words, if the file's original name is K20D9753 and the image was taken at 2 minutes after 1pm on Christmas day 2009, the file would be renamed thus:

20091225-1302-9753.PEF

Keeping the numeric part of the original name makes it easier for me to connect files in the cases where I may have exported a copy before renaming, in other words, it allows me to match "K20D9753.jpg" with the renamed raw file that ends in "9753". Anyway, this format is almost guaranteed to produce unique file names. Well, at least until we reach the year 10,000. :-)

Lightroom does this renaming very quickly and I found it very easy in Lightroom to set up my renaming template and save it.

Will