Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Does the K-x have a depth-of-field preview like my K10D? That might be an option to help, great feature. The only other thing I'd add is that the K-x viewfinder doesn't sound great. One of those trade-offs to make a cheap entry level camera. THe K-x is great for any entry level, but the higher end cameras will often have much better viewfinders.

02-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Godfrey's Wisdom Drops on manual focussing have helped me.

It takes practice and probably isn't helped by the small k-x VF, but following that advice has led me to put my stock screen back in (back from one I cut down from a Canon A-1) and although I am only at about 6/10 on average, I have my metering back! Of course as I mentioned above if the live view and the screen don't match, you might need to take your focussing screen out and shim it to match the live view.

Else, you could complain to Pentax, they should fix it for you IMO.
02-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Does the K-x have a depth-of-field preview like my K10D?
It does (assignable to the green button, not a dedicated switch like the K10D), but that doesn't help with the wide open DOF issue I described, since the DOF preview does nothing shooting wide open. It's a way to get the viewifnder to show *more* DOF, but there's no way to get it to show *less* than it normally does.

QuoteQuote:
The only other thing I'd add is that the K-x viewfinder doesn't sound great. One of those trade-offs to make a cheap entry level camera. THe K-x is great for any entry level, but the higher end cameras will often have much better viewfinders.
This is true with respect to size and brightness, but not the DOF issue I described - it affects the K10D too.
03-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all of the info. I'm looking into this. I noticed that manual focusing is very hard at f/1.4.
It might be that it is a Sears brand lense so I'm doing some comparisons. Also, I ordered a SMC-A 50mm f/1.4 off ebay to do more testing. I am a newbie and expect to learn a great deal from this forum. I appreciate all of your help. Thanks!

03-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
Thanks for all of the info. I'm looking into this. I noticed that manual focusing is very hard at f/1.4.
It might be that it is a Sears brand lense so I'm doing some comparisons. Also, I ordered a SMC-A 50mm f/1.4 off ebay to do more testing. I am a newbie and expect to learn a great deal from this forum. I appreciate all of your help. Thanks!
That depends on who made the Sears branded lens. I don't believe Sears every had a lens factory. I do believe that a lot of the Sears branded SLRs were rebadged Ricoh cameras.

03-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Another thing to look into is getting the Pentax O-ME53 magnifying eyepiece. It magnifies the viewfinder for you by about 20%.

I've found it useful for helping achieve more precise focussing when using manual lenses, especially in poor light, on both my K-x and K200D. Shooting wide open with fast lenses doesn't give you much room for error so you need all the help you can get.
03-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #22

Original Poster
After taking various shots with the kit lens, I discovered that I had back focus. I kept shooting pics of my dog and her face was always a little blurry but her body was sharper than her face. So I did a test with 3 high contrast items about 3-4 inches behind 1 another. So I looked up the debug mode and found this tutorial RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Debug Mode Tutorial - AF Adjustment
I took 10 shots +10 adj for each shot. Then viewed each on on computer. Found the sharpest one and made adjusment. Now my manual focus and auto focus are spot on. My focus indictions are much more accurate. I'm very happy. Oh I got the SMC-A 50mm f/1.4. What a great lens especially having the auto exposure making use of program modes.
03-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Yes. I zeroed it in middle. Maybe I'll try with glasses of contacts and see if I get better results.
Don't assume the diopter on your K-x is exact. The diopter on my K-x is out of true (the camera was an open-box return discount, and I'm sure this is why). It took me a few days to figure it out - I adjusted it to it's out of whack zero of point and no more problems :P (whenever I first get it serviced for something I'll get this corrected)

03-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

After taking various shots with the kit lens, I discovered that I had back focus. I kept shooting pics of my dog and her face was always a little blurry but her body was sharper than her face. So I did a test with 3 high contrast items about 3-4 inches behind 1 another. So I looked up the debug mode and found this tutorial RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Debug Mode Tutorial - AF Adjustment
I took 10 shots +10 adj for each shot. Then viewed each on on computer. Found the sharpest one and made adjusment. Now my manual focus and auto focus are spot on. My focus indictions are much more accurate. I'm very happy. Oh I got the SMC-A 50mm f/1.4. What a great lens especially having the auto exposure making use of program modes.
Thanks. I'm going to have to try this as I've found my DA* 16-50 SDM is back focusing.