Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Finger prints on film?

I just saw my results from yesterday's contact print. There are fingerprints on them, I have never had them before (this is my third time developing prints.) I'm not sure when they are on there. I'm sure there are one or two finger prints on the negatives (not sure if it got on there before developing, wet, or dried.) Maybe there are finger prints on the ummm (35-7B (package of 25)) (they are in this type of thing when I am making the contact prints). There are also finger prints present on places other than the frames and the finger prints are white there.

Gah, is there some way to remove the fingerprints from the negatives? and besides the finger prints on the negatives, what could I be doing wrong? My teacher says it's fine and that it is a learning experience, so that next time I won't get it again (so he's not taking marks off this time).

02-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

generaly speaking, you can rewash negs or use various neg cleaners. You should try to identify where they have been 'finger printed' and eliminate them by changing your procedure. Are these ones you've developed yourself?
02-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
generaly speaking, you can rewash negs or use various neg cleaners. You should try to identify where they have been 'finger printed' and eliminate them by changing your procedure. Are these ones you've developed yourself?
Yep I have developed them myself. Follow up question here, can neg cleaners or water damage the negatives? I'm sure of the prints on the negatives themselves and I have to check the rest of the things to be sure.
02-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

no, washing or using a negative cleaner won't damage the negs as long as your careful as you are letting something touch the film. I would re-wash negs that have dried with water marks (do a final rinse with distilled/deionised water with a tiny bit of wetting agent like photoflo and you shouldn't get any drying marks in the first place). When you wet the negs the emulsion will get soft and be suspectable so be careful handling it at that point. For film cleaner you tend to clean a particular neg before printing. Can't say I've used it too much (I try not to have to) but since your rubbing the negs whatever you use needs to be clean (I use a cotton 'ear' bud). One neg cleaner that's commonly recommended is called PEC-12. Do a search to read more about it.

Cheers, Nige