Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #1

Pentax MX shutter speeds offset?

I just recently bought a Pentax MX, and I was playing around with it to get used to the new camera. I've been using a Pentax K1000 with my photography class.
Anyways...
I was looking at the shutter speeds inside the viewfinder, and I found out that they are off in comparison to the shutter speed dial. When the dial is on 1/60, in the viewfinder, it shows 1/125. Of course, 1/60 is below that, and 1/500 is above it. I'm not sure if the camera shutter speed is really set to 1/125 when its on 1/60, or if the numbers in the viewfinder are just off.
I guess the only way to really find out is to take some pictures, and see how they turn out, but I wanted to see if anyone here could help me first. (:
Thanks.

02-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michelle14 Quote
I just recently bought a Pentax MX, and I was playing around with it to get used to the new camera. I've been using a Pentax K1000 with my photography class.
Anyways...
I was looking at the shutter speeds inside the viewfinder, and I found out that they are off in comparison to the shutter speed dial. When the dial is on 1/60, in the viewfinder, it shows 1/125. Of course, 1/60 is below that, and 1/500 is above it. I'm not sure if the camera shutter speed is really set to 1/125 when its on 1/60, or if the numbers in the viewfinder are just off.
I guess the only way to really find out is to take some pictures, and see how they turn out, but I wanted to see if anyone here could help me first. (:
Thanks.
I don't remember exactly but I do believe that the MX has exposure compensation. There is (IIRC) a little lever near the shutter speed dial. Check it, and make sure it's at 0.

Edit: I just looked and I guess it doesn't have exposure comp. Might be something mechanical as if someone took the camera apart and didn't get the scale lined back up correctly (the one on top). Welcome anyway.

Edit Again.. I should check better before opening my emouth sometimes.. Look Here (pass word is Pentax). Page 9 of the manual.

Last edited by JeffJS; 02-25-2010 at 10:50 PM.
02-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ahh. Well, thanks for the help. (:
Yeah, I was looking and looking and couldn't find it, so I googled it.
The MX doesn't have exposure compensation. :/
But, I'm guessing that you're right. It probably isn't lined up right.
Thank you. (:
02-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Michelle14 Quote
Ahh. Well, thanks for the help. (:
Yeah, I was looking and looking and couldn't find it, so I googled it.
The MX doesn't have exposure compensation. :/
But, I'm guessing that you're right. It probably isn't lined up right.
Thank you. (:
Sorry.. I sold my last MX a couple months ago and actually forgot what the viewfinder looked like. Should have checked. I guess there's a mechanical link between that wheel inside the viewfinder and the speed dial. It isn't insurmountable though. Take a shot with the Wheel showing the right speed (external handheld meter) and one with the Speed Dial set at the right speed. See which one is right and keep it in mind. OR, Return the camera to the seller (I hope it isn't the one I sold here on the marketplace )

02-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hahaha its fine. (:
Thats a good idea. I'll have to try that. (:
Thank you.
And its not really a big deal, I just need to figure out how to fix it. (:
Or, like you said, remember which speed is really the correct one, the one in the viewfinder, or the one on the wheel.

Hahaha.
I bought mine off ebay...
02-26-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
Inactive Account

The shutter speed dial and the aperture ring IS the exposure comp system.

And yes, the middle value in the viewfinder should match up to what's set on the shutter speed dial. You're looking at a service job, methinks.
02-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
The shutter speed dial and the aperture ring IS the exposure comp system.

No it isn't. It's the Exposure system, true, but not an EC system. You can manually compensate for exposure Using the speed dial and aperture ring though. You can also compensate by dialing the ISO up or down.
02-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I managed to get my MX shutter speeds working backward. I put the camera back in a drawer a year ago. I like working on lenses, but I think cameras are worth sending to Eric.