Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It's time to repeat my mantra - ask yourself: 1) Where am I going? 2) How will I get there? 3) What can I afford and be happy with? Or, more specifically: What photos do you want to take that you CAN'T with your kit lens? What type of lens(es) do you think you need, re: focal length, speed, special qualities? Do you have specific reasons to spend money?

Are you just unhappy with the kit lens because it IS a kit lens? That's not really a good reason -- the Pentax 18-55 is a marvelous tool, and if you're new to dSLR photography, you can spend a year just learning it thoroughly, learning how to exploit light and angles, learning how to SEE.

I don't know your photo background, if any. I'd shot film long ago, but not much for a long time. I started digital about a decade ago, with point-and-shoots. I'd been using a VERY NICE p&s for some time, but grew tired of its limitations. So I asked myself, what do I want to do that I just CAN'T with what I have? The answers were: ultrawide, ultrazoom, low light. So with my K20D (and the AF-360 flash), I got a 10-17 fisheye, 18-250 walkaround, and the fast fast 50/1.4. Many lenses later (including an 18-55 that's getting more use), those are still what I shoot most. I'm happy. If the images aren't perfect, I shoop'em. If I like them, I print and mount them. I hopefully won't feel like "upgrading" any time soon.

So, consider where your money comes from, and where it goes, and what else you could do with it. And remember: the best lens is the one you use.
Those words above are so valuable to those who are beginners . I wish I saw that advice when I first started into DSLR world, but I didn't, that's why I ended up with more than 20 lenses (AF + MF). But now I see the KIT LENSE 18-55 keeps taking turn with the 55-300 to stay on my K20D .

03-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
Those words above are so valuable to those who are beginners . I wish I saw that advice when I first started into DSLR world, but I didn't, that's why I ended up with more than 20 lenses (AF + MF). But now I see the KIT LENSE 18-55 keeps taking turn with the 55-300 to stay on my K20D .
Thanks so much! I'm seriously considering writing a couple of articles, to be sticky'd in the Beginner's and SLR Lenses forums (hopefully), on CAMERA OPTICS FOR BEGINNERS and LENS CHOICES FOR BEGINNERS. Then I wouldn't have to write the same stuff so often, over and over.
03-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #18

Original Poster
Decided on Tamron 17-50 2.8

Thanks for all the repsonses. I decided to get a Tamron 17-50 2.8. Its on its way from BandH. I am new to this and Ive discovered that photo people buy lenses the way guitarist buy guitars and fishing folks by reels...I am becoming a photo person...
03-02-2010, 11:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
dehanson1 Thanks for all the repsonses. I decided to get a Tamron 17-50 2.8. Its on its way from BandH. I am new to this and Ive discovered that photo people buy lenses the way guitarist buy guitars and fishing folks by reels...I am becoming a photo person...
Congratulations--I am curious, what made you select the Tamron? Thanks.