Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #1

Pentax k-x in India

hii i am from India and i planned to buy the pentax k-x , my friend is coming from US so i thought of buying it. But now there are many problems related to SR, mirror slap and all, so i am little afraid over buying it as there are so service centers for Pentax. I am afraid if my pentax k-x will carry any of the problems. Should i go for the pentax or any other dslr as pentax are not available in India much?

02-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go for another make. Buying e.g. an extra lens or sending your camera for a service is going cost you a fortune on shipping costs. If Pentax is not available in India, third party stuff will probably also be difficult to find locally.
02-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #3

im returning to india soon.. and i bought k-x... there is a thread for pentax users in india.. u could check it out..
03-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
rkt

check this link out ... nothing too promising ... but a thin ray of hope atleast ...

International Repairs - Asia - PENTAX U.K. Limited

It is sad that Pentax is missing in India... there was a time when it was quite a popular brand ... my dad has a complete film kit ... as do most of his friends ... but Pentax seems to be looking over a potentially large market ... specially a place where their weather sealed bodies at competitive prices have the potential to really do well given the climate etc...

Hope they 'wake up' ...

11-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #5

just joined this place.because today i have ordered my first ever DSLR and this is Pentax k-x and i am pretty excited about it.A friend is doing me the favour of buying it on amazon.com and carrying it to india.package includes body+ 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED + a bag(Tamrac 5502 Explorer 2) + 4 AA sanyo eneloop battery/w charger.all costing me 751 US$,at today's exchange rate about little more than 33000 rupees.how is the deal you think? All the people I have talked before ordering this were pretty demotivating, everyone asking me to go for Nikon or Canon.but i guess i was too stubborn and too impressed with pentax and k-x.and took the risk of buying it knowingly getting help to fix any problem when needed.i hope you guys can guide me better than the canon and nikon people if i ask here.thanx.
11-04-2010, 03:03 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ultimateamit Quote
just joined this place.because today i have ordered my first ever DSLR and this is Pentax k-x and i am pretty excited about it.A friend is doing me the favour of buying it on amazon.com and carrying it to india.package includes body+ 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED + a bag(Tamrac 5502 Explorer 2) + 4 AA sanyo eneloop battery/w charger.all costing me 751 US$,at today's exchange rate about little more than 33000 rupees.how is the deal you think? All the people I have talked before ordering this were pretty demotivating, everyone asking me to go for Nikon or Canon.but i guess i was too stubborn and too impressed with pentax and k-x.and took the risk of buying it knowingly getting help to fix any problem when needed.i hope you guys can guide me better than the canon and nikon people if i ask here.thanx.
Price sounds fine, but while you have the opportunity, you should have your friend order the genuine Pentax K to m42 adapter as well, (About $30 U.S.)

This way, you can buy and use old M42 manual lenses in the future.
11-04-2010, 03:52 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ultimateamit Quote
That's an excellent deal. When I bought the K-x, and that was way back in February this year, I got the body+18-55 kit lens for 549$ + shipping + customs which rounded outto about 31,000Rs. Then I got the gorillapod from Israel; a local SONY Tripod; bag from london and so on and so forth. Don't doubt your choice.

Regarding service, there is a problem in India, though I haven't had to service it even once.

11-04-2010, 03:54 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Hugi Navin Quote
hii i am from India and i planned to buy the pentax k-x , my friend is coming from US so i thought of buying it. But now there are many problems related to SR, mirror slap and all, so i am little afraid over buying it as there are so service centers for Pentax. I am afraid if my pentax k-x will carry any of the problems. Should i go for the pentax or any other dslr as pentax are not available in India much?
The K-x is such a good camera that it made me overlook service center issue. And it has definitely served me well. Check out my pictures from my flickr link.
11-06-2010, 04:51 AM   #9

Hi Amit,

Price seems to be fine. i got my k-x w 18-55 from US for $498 last month.
Not regretting my choice even once. Welcome to the Pentax club !!
11-06-2010, 05:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

A guide to the Pentax K-x Digital SLR Camera.
11-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Another happy Pentax DSLR (and film SLR) user here. There are loads of M42 and K mount lenses available in India, and you can also buy from here and eBay..
11-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #12

thank you very much for your responses.i already have a good feeling of pentax fraternity.as i am still very infant, i may post some stupid questions here.please bear with that and educate me.or ask me to get out of heresome of you have suggested to gear up for the future,could i please ask how should play with my k-x very basics to start? may be just stick to the kit 18-55mm? i have absolutely no idea in which situations i can even use my 55-300mm lens; when you mentioned M42,i had to google it to find out the beauty of that.so this is where i stand.besides i simply cannot afford any more lens at this point.not in one year from now.
there are probably many beginner's guide including the manufacturer's version.but i would assume in this forum there are people who have excelled with their k-x and in a better position to give some handy tips.the weather resistance thing again confuses me a bit.i am expecting to travel all of northeast india this winter with my k-x and would probably experience snow in sikkim and arunachal pradesh.is there any temperature and moisture threats to the gears?if yes,any protection measures?Landscapes at full daylight condition is most likely situation.Look at your old pictures, remember your time unboxing your gear, and growing with that making you realize at some points 'ok,if i had done that way in the beginning then it would have produced better images'. i understand photography is pure art(with the help of science,of course) that requires a strength of imagination combined with creativity,there is no simulation game here.but i also understand some things are better skilled with just plain experience and exposure.so i ask your inputs based on the latter,since the former is difficult to transfer. but all is welcome.thanks.
11-08-2010, 04:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

K-x is not weather-sealed, so watch out for moisture, especially over in the cold N-E.
Get a nice tripod if you're going to be doing landscapes.
Have fun taking photos, post some here, so people can critique and advise you on how to better them.. really, I think that's what you should be doing. Do not obsess over your gear.. go out and take some photos!
11-09-2010, 07:29 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Humidity is a big issue. My 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses have fungus now. Take them out frequently and take photos to avoid this.