Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I'm guessing here but isn't it almost four times as powerful according to the inverse square law?

03-05-2010, 05:59 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
can also recommend a Metz, I've just got Metz 48 and am astonished at how much of a difference it makes and how easy to use it is. Will post a couple of pics when I get home, but I got it as I have a wedding to do soon and needed something to do all those outdoor shots - I had NO idea just how much difference using flash outside makes..
03-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

The Metz 48 just previously recommended is the flash that I don't have that I wish I had bought instead of the 360. It's just a 1/4 step up in price compared with the 360 and it has the swivel function and that is just something that I really miss. I know, I can use my 360 in one hand and the camera in the other but it's difficult, even if one gets used to it. Sometimes you just want to use the flash on camera and not off.
I've used the 360 with the optical wireless feature and with radio triggers. The strength is good, but I would go for maneuverability.
On the other hand, after using a flash and getting a hang of it, especially with the ability to have it off camera, I'm thinking of getting a second flash. I have an old 160 with only one strenth setting which I use seldomly, but off camera in that case. That way I can play with controlled light more!
If the 200 has several strength settings which I'm guessing it has, it would be a great flash to use with radio triggers, cheap and effective!
03-06-2010, 03:07 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
If the 200 has several strength settings which I'm guessing it has, it would be a great flash to use with radio triggers, cheap and effective!
So far Pentax has released three very different flashes which each have "AF200" as part of their names. Of the three, only one has variable strength settings for manual use.

AF200S: two auto levels, and one manual level (full power only)
AF200T: two auto levels, and four manual levels (1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8)
AF200FG: P-TTL, TTL, and one manual level (full power only)

Of the three, the AF200FG would, in my opinion, be least useful for use with radio triggers, due to having only one manual power level and no auto sensor.

03-08-2010, 02:22 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Any comments about the AF540FGZ?
03-08-2010, 05:35 AM   #36
Veteran Member

It's stronger and has pretty much the same attributes as the Metz 48 but can be used as a controller.
I don't know how the recycle time is compared to the 48 but a feature that you would have to climb up to the Metz 58 is that it has the capability to plug an external battery to it.
Haven't tried it though.
03-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #37

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

AF200S: two auto levels, and one manual level (full power only)

Of the three, the AF200FG would, in my opinion, be least useful for use with radio triggers, due to having only one manual power level and no auto sensor.
Correction - I have an AF200S I've been experimenting with. It has three flash levels - 1/4, 1/2, and full/auto. Has a nice built in scale for ISO/distance/aperture for all 3 settings, so it behaves well with manual lenses. No tilt or swivel, though. I've just ordered some cheap radio triggers off eBay to try to use it off camera.
03-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xxDavexx Quote
Correction - I have an AF200S I've been experimenting with. It has three flash levels - 1/4, 1/2, and full/auto. Has a nice built in scale for ISO/distance/aperture for all 3 settings, so it behaves well with manual lenses. No tilt or swivel, though. I've just ordered some cheap radio triggers off eBay to try to use it off camera.
I took the precaution of checking the manual prior to making my post, and on page 12 it quite clearly states that "full flash output is used for manual flash". The other two settings are auto settings and output is regulated by the sensor on the front of the flash.

03-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Any comments about the AF540FGZ?
It does everything except pop out a little robot helicopter with a flash meter to fly over to your subject and measure the light.

I don't think it is quite good enough to be completely trusted in its all-auto mode. I'm not sure that any flash is. It does have many ways to adjust the flash output yourself. It requires some studying before all these controls are understood. It's a substantial investment.

I've only had mine for a week so I haven't warmed up to it yet.
03-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Certainly one can use A mode with manual lenses. You just set the aperture to the value indicated by the flash.
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Thanks, there are so many options when using flash in the photo shooting that I started to appreciate the use of flash to enhance the lighting and quality of pictures.

Thanks, Mike, I think I only tried that once and found that the flash seemed to dish out full power (overexpose), I will definitely try that again using the flash ISO and AV setting in the camera (A mode or M mode) to see how that works.
Well, Mike, I tried that A mode on manual lens the other night with my MF Cosinon-W 28mm f2 k-mount lens. The A mode did work but the shutter is set to sync speed 1/180 which is not what I want for the type of photos I want to take. I ended up using the M mode on the both the camera and the flash, as I said before. Yes, it did work with some limitation unfortunately.
03-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Well, Mike, I tried that A mode on manual lens the other night with my MF Cosinon-W 28mm f2 k-mount lens. The A mode did work but the shutter is set to sync speed 1/180 which is not what I want for the type of photos I want to take. I ended up using the M mode on the both the camera and the flash, as I said before. Yes, it did work with some limitation unfortunately.
Try putting the flash on auto and the camera in M mode. You'll have to set your aperture as the flash indicates, but you'll be able to choose your shutter speed freely.
03-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Try putting the flash on auto and the camera in M mode. You'll have to set your aperture as the flash indicates, but you'll be able to choose your shutter speed freely.
Thanks, Mike, I did have some success (in fact, pretty good) the other night with the flash and the camera both on M mode. It was a fund raising dinner (Dance for Charity- Haiti relief Fund) for World Vision. Here is one of those many shots of the Professional dancers. I am also quite happy with the MF lens.

Last edited by aleonx3; 10-08-2010 at 11:00 AM.
03-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #43

Photos: Albums
I took the precaution of checking the manual prior to making my post, and on page 12 it quite clearly states that "full flash output is used for manual flash". The other two settings are auto settings and output is regulated by the sensor on the front of the flash.
Then again, this flash and its manual predate any Pentax dSLRs. I was certain I was able to adjust the flash output using a fully manual lens on my K10D, even though the concept of "automatic exposure" and manual lenses on this camera are at odds.

I tried a bit of an experiment: K10D, Sigma M28/f2.8 manual lens, AF200s flash. Obviously, with a full manual lens I had to set the K10D to M, set shutter speed to 180, ISO to 100, and set aperture to value mentioned on the flash chart (about 1m from subject, so f18). The flash fired at what I presume to be full power. It overexposed the subject by about 1.5 stops - or about a half stop more than what I would expect from the camera asking it to meter in daylight using the green button.

When using the lens in "red" or "green" modes, however, setting the aperture to the value marked on the chart resulted in severely underexposed photos. After some playing around, I realized that the K10D is attempting to set the flash exposure using the sensor on the flash, but apparently with the manual lens wide open. Even so, the amount of underexposure was about a full stop different between the "red" and the "green" mode. With the same subject about 1 meter away, I discovered through trial and error that I needed f stops of 5.6 and 4 for correct exposure. IOW, about 1/4 and 1/8 of full power.

The automatic "red" and "green" modes expose at roughly 1/2 and 1/4 power on an AF lens in Av mode. I presume this would also be true with M42 manual lenses as well. So the AF200S provides three power levels for all lenses on a K10D.
03-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Hi aleon what flash did you use in that picture?
03-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #45
Site Supporter

I use a Metz 58 on a routine basis. I also own a Pentax 360 and find it much less useful due to the lack of the side swivel. I am not much of a fan of direct on camera flash. Tends to create shadows. The best thing, if possible, is to get the flash off of the camera. If that isn't possible, then bounce flash works pretty well.

I think, as with all things photographic, it is something that takes practice, but once perfected is worth it.