Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #1

New K20D - now what??

I just bought a K20D because I am a portrait painter and I feel it will help me especially with antsy kids and impatient adults. It was pretty expensive, so the first thing I want to do is get 2 good cases for it - 1 to take when I am just going out and only need the camera and a lens, the second to store and transport everything. I had seen a brand called Zeroshock which has polyurethane padded sections inside which seemed pretty good. Over time I have broken my blackberry and cell phone screens, and they were nowhere near as big an investment as this camera, so I 'd rather find a really good, protective case in the beginning.
Any suggestions? Thanks for your input....

03-01-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The K20D is a pretty rugged beast. I've carried mine around Central America, stuffed into just an unpadded teardrop Ameribag which has been dropped and prodded, with no damage to body or lenses (or the other electronics and gear mingled in). (Although I must admit than, when a minilaptop is in the bag too, I'm VERY careful with it.) The Ameribag has been effective at deterring pickpockets in crowds. The Zeroshock bags/packs I've seen don't look too defensible.

[ I detail the contents of my Ameribag here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/91112-recommend...tml#post928725 ]

But also consider what type of container you'll be comfortable carrying, whether it'll be shipped and otherwise mauled by others, etc. A locking hardshell case is good if you expect your stuff to be drop-kicked, tossed by baggage handlers, etc. Such typically comes with two styrofoam blocks, and you cut those to make custom indents for your gear. And it can look like an attache case, not a camera case, which may or may not be important to you -- a more business-like appearance, etc.

You're in New York? It's not like there's a shortage of camera and luggage dealers in the city. Browse around, try some out, see what feels right. Good luck.
03-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That poses a problem. The more protective a case, the heavier it is and the more difficult to open. I've dropped my K20D and broken the lens hood. The camera itself is fine. If you always have your camera in a hard shell case, my guess is that you won't carry it around with your or use use the camera as often as you would if it were in a simple padded bag.

First, when using the camera always put the strap over your head. If you drop the camera it won't fall. I've seen people simple let go of their cameras because they forgot they were holding them. Strange but true.

For carrying around, a decent padded case should be adequate. I really hesitant to ship camera gear on airlines and always carry mine with me. For that a good backpack works well. I use a LowePro but there are lots of good ones out there. Hard case or not, theft is a real possibility when traveling. And fancy camera cases look very appealing to thieves.

An option that a pro friend of mine uses is shipping his gear FedEx insured. That way it doesn't have to go through underpaid baggage handlers. In some countries, customs officials have light fingers, too.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365
03-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For something to go out with...what about getting a padded bag just big enough for the camera and a zoom lens. Find one that will allow the camera strap to be used for the bag too. Then find a small hard case you can put the whole thing inside for transport in the car... I have a small padded case that I throw over my head to the opposite shoulder and I can walk around all afternoon without it being in the way and it's safe......

03-05-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
shinhopple I just bought a K20D because I am a portrait painter and I feel it will help me especially with antsy kids and impatient adults. It was pretty expensive, so the first thing I want to do is get 2 good cases for it - 1 to take when I am just going out and only need the camera and a lens, the second to store and transport everything. I had seen a brand called Zeroshock which has polyurethane padded sections inside which seemed pretty good. Over time I have broken my blackberry and cell phone screens, and they were nowhere near as big an investment as this camera, so I 'd rather find a really good, protective case in the beginning.
Any suggestions? Thanks for your input....
Expensive? I paid $1200 US for mine about 2 years ago. As mentioned, it is a very rugged camera. I hike all over with mine, even in tough Winter conditions, sometimes well below zero. I never bought a case for it: when I spoil it, is when it gets to ride inside my hiking pack, but usually it is around my neck. It still looks like new.

To be honest, almost any shelter you buy to house it should do just fine.

BTW, great choice in camera--best of luck to you.
03-05-2010, 03:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Expensive? I paid $1200 US for mine about 2 years ago.
Everything is relative; it depends on your situation and look at things.

Price of a K20D here did not go down for at least a year (since I started looking at dSLR) and is (exchange rate) about US$1500 with kit lens.