Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
Inactive Account

What lens to go with k20D or k7?

Hey everybody!!!

I'm trying to get a good deal on a k20D if not I'm going with the k7 but now I've ran into a problem with the lenses. I want a wide angle, a macro, and maybe a typical 50mm carry around one. After going through the guides in the stickies this is kind of what I picked out.

For the wide I'm thinking either:

SMC Pentax-DA 14mm or SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
both are near the same price.

For the macro:
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro

Not sure about the normal one.

I chose these particularly because of the examples in the reviews showed bright colors and sharpness.

Any suggestions on which lens I would want? Or maybe suggest lens that rival the ones I listed?

Much appreciated.

03-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I'm not mistaken, you need to get pretty close with a 35mm macro to get 1:1. If that's a problem, you can consider another macro like the Sigma 70mm or 105mm or the Pentax 50mm or 100mm.

In my opinion, 50mm is a bit long for walkaround, but that is a personal thing and I would use the 35mm for that. Unless you want the 50mm for it's widest aperture, my lineup in your situation would be 14mm (15mm), 35mm and 70mm (macro or e.g DA ltd).
03-01-2010, 02:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

50 is more of a portrait tele, great also for night streets and interiors. 28 would be a 'short' normal, but I find a 21 more useful for daytime street grabbing. Short macros are good for close studio work; longer (around 100) is better for the field.

I'll repeat my usual chant - ask yourself: 1) Where do you want to go? 2) What will get you there? 3) What can you afford that you'll be happy with? With the lenses you've mentioned, will you feel limited, or challenged, or just right? What will you do with your images? (How) will they be displayed?

Maybe you already asked yourself all this. I just find that when asking, "Which lens is better?" you'll mostly get individual opinions. (At least this isn't 4chan, where the answers can get nasty.) It may be more productive to look at the lens review database. Good luck.
03-01-2010, 03:06 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
Rio Rico's basically said it all - answering the question "What do I want to do with the lenses?" will help to decide between zooms, primes and the focal lengths you'll need to get what you need to get the job done.

The fast fifty is a great little investment, even if it's too long to be a walkaround prime. You have the DA 16-45 as a decent walkaround wide angle to complement the 50. As for macros - as above, look into the working distance you're after, which will let you know what focal length to get.

03-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by smackythefrog Quote
For the macro:
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro

Not sure about the normal one.
On an APS-C camera like all Pentax DSLR's, 35mm *is* normal. because of the crop factor, 50mm is no longer normal, but instead a short telephoto.

Those seems like good choices, assuming you've considered the obvious obvious candidates as well (12-24 or third party zoom for wide, fa35 for normal, any of the various 100-ish macros).