Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For some reason I thought you had tried a second battery. I hope you're right, both for your sake and future users. This SEEMS to be unique to you're camera/battery/card.. That is, first I read of it, last I've seen of it. Can't say that won't change but if it proves out to be a bad battery, cheap fix compared to mailing the camera around the country.

Good luck..

03-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
latest update on my Pentax K-7 battery issue:

the new LI90 arrived this afternoon. charged it, placed it inside the camera and everything still the same!

the camera is faulty or something. will contact the seller and see if i can replace it or get it repaired. i'd rather get it replaced though!

let's see where i'll get with this ...

thx everyone for the support replies and feedback and everything.
03-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #18

Original Poster
me again!

ok, at least one person replying to my posts here (or elsewhere on a different topic?) has mentioned the use of faster "class 6" SD/HC memory cards to go inside the Pentax K-7 for better more reliable performance.

what i have in the camera appears to be a "class 2" memory card though, with 15MB/sec transfer speed. of course, when the camera starts (with or without delay depending on the situation) it's grabbing pictures or videos fast enough anyway but i'm thinking maybe that could also be the cause? or one of the causes behind the slow cold boot startup of the camera?

have to get myself one of those cards soon no matter what and test the K7 again, but until then, any clues anyone?

thx
03-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #19

Original Poster
more update:

contacted the online seller of the K-7 two days ago and they suggested me to "swap" this body with a new one. sent them the body, waiting for a (hopefully totally) new one to arrive.

hope this one works fine this time as far as the quick / reliable start up is concerned as i really love this camera!

imo, at this very moment nothing beats this little yet great DSLR Pentax camera between the price range from $800 ~ $3000, maybe even up to $5000 ...

btw, anyone knows how to have some kind of an 'odometer' on a DSLR? i mean something that could tell us the total number of times the shutter is cocked/released as well as the total number of times the sensor captures an image regardless of its being stored in memory or not. also, i would like to have some such meter thing for the memory card as well.

there are small utility programs out there that can tell users for how many hours (days even years) an HDD unit has worked on a computer for example. i know such a thing can be done for cameras when going for repair or fine tuning too but are such proggies available for end users too?

best regards
d

Last edited by penties rider; 03-11-2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: silly typo!
03-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by penties rider Quote
more update:

btw, anyone knows how to have some kind of an 'odometer' on a DSLR? i mean something that could tell us the total number of times the shutter is cocked/released as well as the total number of times the sensor captures an image regardless of its being stored in memory or not. also, i would like to have some such meter thing for the memory card as well.
best regards
d
Shutter count is recorded and can be found in the Exif.. Using PhotoMe..

Unless you're talking about something else.

03-12-2010, 02:52 AM   #21

Original Poster
hi JeffJS

thx for this. sounds like a great little porggy more than worthy of its bread! ;-)

if the Shutter Count shown in the program is exactly what i'm thinking (showing how many times the camera's shutter's been fired prior to the present shot being checked) then the Pentax K-7 body i just sent back had already been used before it reached me.

i checked one of the earliest test shots i had taken with it, where it shows the shutter count of 1284 while i'm sure i had not taken that many pictures with that body until reaching that particular shot.

(well, we could say that the camera has been tested in the factory after assembly and before leaving for the market, therefore maybe that's why that number is kind of rather high? reminds me of a cute ad for Hasselblad many years ago: it claimed every Hasselblad camera sold as new in stores, has had its shutter tested in the factory at least 100`000 +++ times cocked and fired until it reaches the final stage of packaging! it even went further as telling people something like "don't think your new Hassleblad's shutter has never been fired" ...)

i'm waiting for the new body to arrive and check the first picture i'll take with it in PhotoMe now.

thx again for letting me know about this very useful program!

best
03-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #22

From what I remember, the K20D's came new with anywhere from 200-400 shutter actuations. Mostly due to testing. a shutter actuation count of 1200 on the K7 seems high, but perhaps the K7 owners can chime in & let you know what their shutter count was when they received their cameras.
03-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #23
PFH
Site Supporter

The shutter count on my K-7 was just under 800 when I got it.

03-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #24
Inactive Account

1284 sounds a little high. Every new body (6) I've bought has been at 200-400.. Don't know where you bought the camera but they may have recycled a return. Or maybe not. Good luck with the new camera, it's a real jewel.

03-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
1284 sounds a little high. Every new body (6) I've bought has been at 200-400.. Don't know where you bought the camera but they may have recycled a return. Or maybe not. Good luck with the new camera, it's a real jewel.

hi JeffJS

i don't want to bring confusion for anyone by telling the name of the online seller as they are a reputable company after all with a really good customer service anyway. a number of other items i bought from them (including a cool Pentax K-x White kit) are also fine enough as to make me want to continue dealing with them.)

and their response for the return of the K-7 has also been really good so far. (according to Pentax itself, i'm not supposed to return this camera body to the retailer but to the company itself for a checkup, which is not free, in spite of the 2-year extended warranty i have paid for to the retailer for a mere $20. the retailer promptly took the responsibility on this camera though and suggested a "swap" right away. they even accepted it when i offered to keep everything in the kit and just send them back the body alone, which was what i preferred as i had already marked up certain lines in the camera's instruction booklet using a highligher pen. they paid for the shipping fees too of course.)

besides, when searching around for at least 3 weeks before the actual purchase, i had found the same Pentax K-7 camera for even as low as $888 online just as well, but the seller didn't appear to be that reliable according to customer feedback info while the one i bought the K-7, the K-x and some other goodies from, had more good feedback than bad ones, albeit their price was somewhat higher, which in the end turned out to be quite good after the discounts i got from them - read below for more info on this please.

(in fact, even the bad comments that i checked about them seemed rather like coming from 'fussy naggers' who start complaining over the slightest mishap of any kind in their lives. one of them sounds like some kind of a "pro online complaint blogger" and with a "good penhamnisp" too, giving rather long negative feedbacks for just about every online seller out there, in a very unreasonable manner as well mostly, and who knows, probably even making some money out of it too!?)

long story short, regarding the discounts that i got off this particular seller eventually, the K-7 with the 18-55mm DA WR kit lens was finally offered to me at a very reasonable pirce (below $1122) plus a $100 mail-in rebate.

the K-x kit also landed me for $468.95 after a $50 instant rebate while the camera + kit lens was originally around $200 or so more anywhere!

their packaging and shipping is also professional and very quick even without paying for fast delivery services.

and i even made a mistake of buying the 50-200mm DA WR lens from another online retailer only because it was around $20 cheaper than the one sold by the K-7 seller while later i realized that the K-7 seller was offering (Pentax was doing it actually) another $100 mail-in rebate for a long list of their lenses including the one i bought from the other retailer!

this makes the whole experience a really nice one with these guys so far and if the K-7's startup did not have that particular problem, i would have kept it no matter what even if the shutter count was going to be much higher than that. after all, the camera worked perfectly fine when it was on and running anyway.

but this time, thanks to your introducing to me the PhotoMe program, i'd be checking the camera before going on with my own test shots. (just checked the first test shot i had taken with the K-x White in PhotoMe and the shutter count showed as 95, which is really good then.)

and yes, you're right: the Pentax K-7 is a great little piece of a "real jewel" indeed! believe me, the K-x is so nice too: great resolution and color and fast response speed too. i love everything about the K-x and am hoping to get a Navy color-ed one someday too!

last but not least: check out reviews and tests done with the latest "monster-beauty" digital cameras models and brands such as the Leica S2 or the new Hasselblads. they are the best in terms of resolution, no arguments there but all testers also do emphasize on the fact that none of those cameras offer the flexibility of the DSLRs such as Pentax K-7 or even the K-x (or similar ones from other brand names such as Canon, Nikon, Olympus and so forth) when it comes to Live View, video shooting, large / hi-res LCD panels and so and so, and above all, price!

those behemoth cameras are best at work in the studio but on the field and when outside, they fail to compete with even the average DSLR, especially in terms of speedy performance.

thx for every helpful comments and hints by anyone here! will keep you posted with the new K-7's tests as soon as it arrives.

cheers
03-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #26
Inactive Account

I wasn't calling out the company. Mistakes happen.. What I said was the camera may have been returned from someone else. OR maybe not. The shutter count sounded high for a NEW camera. With the volume that some of the ebay sellers do, it isn't unreasonable to think they may have just made a mistake and recycled the camera back into stock. The person I would Really blame is the one who returned it the first time (if that in fact happened) knowing there was a problem.

I've seen people leave neg feedback for all kinds of stupid reasons. Usually, it is from New buyers who are pissed that the seller couldn't walk on water or teleport their items to them.

03-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I wasn't calling out the company. Mistakes happen.. What I said was the camera may have been returned from someone else. OR maybe not. The shutter count sounded high for a NEW camera. With the volume that some of the ebay sellers do, it isn't unreasonable to think they may have just made a mistake and recycled the camera back into stock. The person I would Really blame is the one who returned it the first time (if that in fact happened) knowing there was a problem.

I've seen people leave neg feedback for all kinds of stupid reasons. Usually, it is from New buyers who are pissed that the seller couldn't walk on water or teleport their items to them.

yes, that must have been the case: the camera's been used surely and probably a little abused in one way or other too or it wouldn't behave that way in its startup.

people can order these items to go around on a shooting assignment of some kind (say a wedding or two) and then after their job is done they'd return the camera, ordering another one from another retailer or even the same one, repeating the same cycle of using a new camera each time they want to take pictures. i know not many do that of course but there are quite a number of people out there abusing the rather too comfortable return policies that are available in the USA more than anywhere else to the best of my knowledge. (there are people who almost never pay for clothing for example and they wear new clothes all the time!)

or the camera may have been faulty from the manufacturer, with the retailer trying to keep selling it to different customers until someone who may not be technical enough to realize the problem will take it finally and won't return it. after all, retailers have to make a living too.

i'm just hoping the new camera that arrives will be "new" indeed.

cheers
03-25-2010, 02:35 AM   #28

Original Poster
in case people might look here again: my 'new' Pentax K-7 to replace the 'old' one with the battery problem arrived early this evening.

worked great witht the not freshly recharged L190 battery: starts up right away and in a snap, just as expected!

tested it with the grip (and worn out NiCad batts) too, and the camera still works great, starts just as nicely and this is really good as i was really feeling somewhat down with the old camera's slow start experience. (the firmware is still version 1.0 and i'm not going to upgrade it as i'm still suspecting that might have also been [one of the] reason[s] behind the first K-7 misbehaving really. if it ain't broke, just don't fix it! - old wise saying.)

took the first test shot with it, checked it in PhotoME and the shutter count was 265 i guess (below 300 surely!) and that's also good! (the other K-7 had shown 12xx something, which was rather too high of course. thx again JeffJS for instantly letting me know about that great and extremely useful program.)

anyway, have to start doing other tests with it ASAP and fine tune the K-7 thingy to my own taste.

been testing / taking some rather nice shots with the K-x meanwhile btw and have to say i am more than satisfied with it in many respects, especially with shots i took with it in ISOs higher than 1600 in sufficient near sunset daylight on a clear day and here's my take in high ISO photography with K-x so far:

forget all about those mostly biased tests you read in famed photo magz regarding how Pentax DSLRs pix quality fails in high ISOs.

if pushed (or even true high ISO) 135 format film did not fail under poor light conditions (with grainy and almost unusable results) then high ISO digital at APS-C size sensors won't fail either!

i mean come on: pushing high speed films to their cosmic limits (via darkroom push processing or by any other means) was never initially meant for 'fine grain low-light photography' was it, but for sports and action under broad daylight where there is more than enough light output by the almighty sun available to allow sports and action photographers use higher shutter speeds to freeze action (and still stick to open apertures no matter what! same also with nighttime photography in stadiums lit with so much artificial light that makes the scene appear even lighter than daylight in some cases!)

now, if some established brand's FF-size sensor camera priced @ $8K+ can take nice pictures at ISOs up to 12800 and bring a WOW! to many pro and paid camera testers' mouths, well, i'm just waiting to see how finely the new Pentax 645D's gonna be tagged in stores?

that's it for now folks and happy Pentax Riding with great quality pictures @ affordable costs!

camera: Pentax (for 135 to medium format film as well as DSLR so far)
computer and OS: Amiga / Linux / Mac (and Windows XP only!)
electronic keyboards: CASIO (price per performance wise of course, otherwise there are many great keyboards out there really, only when it comes to how much you have to pay for even the most decent of them, then ...)

Last edited by penties rider; 03-25-2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: typo!
03-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by penties rider Quote
in case people might look here again: my 'new' Pentax K-7 to replace the 'old' one with the battery problem arrived early this evening.

worked great witht the not freshly recharged L190 battery: starts up right away and in a snap, just as expected!

tested it with the grip (and worn out NiCad batts) too, and the camera still works great, starts just as nicely and this is really good as i was really feeling somewhat down with the old camera's slow start experience. (the firmware is still version 1.0 and i'm not going to upgrade it as i'm still suspecting that might have also been [one of the] reason[s] behind the first K-7 misbehaving really. if it ain't broke, just don't fix it! - old wise saying.)

took the first test shot with it, checked it in PhotoME and the shutter count was 265 i guess (below 300 surely!) and that's also good! (the other K-7 had shown 12xx something, which was rather too high of course. thx again JeffJS for instantly letting me know about that great and extremely useful program.)

anyway, have to start doing other tests with it ASAP and fine tune the K-7 thingy to my own taste.

been testing / taking some rather nice shots with the K-x meanwhile btw and have to say i am more than satisfied with it in many respects, especially with shots i took with it in ISOs higher than 1600 in sufficient near sunset daylight on a clear day and here's my take in high ISO photography with K-x so far:

forget all about those mostly biased tests you read in famed photo magz regarding how Pentax DSLRs pix quality fails in high ISOs.

if pushed (or even true high ISO) 135 format film did not fail under poor light conditions (with grainy and almost unusable results) then high ISO digital at APS-C size sensors won't fail either!

i mean come on: pushing high speed films to their cosmic limits (via darkroom push processing or by any other means) was never initially meant for 'fine grain low-light photography' was it, but for sports and action under broad daylight where there is more than enough light output by the almighty sun available to allow sports and action photographers use higher shutter speeds to freeze action (and still stick to open apertures no matter what! same also with nighttime photography in stadiums lit with so much artificial light that makes the scene appear even lighter than daylight in some cases!)

now, if some established brand's FF-size sensor camera priced @ $8K+ can take nice pictures at ISOs up to 12800 and bring a WOW! to many pro and paid camera testers' mouths, well, i'm just waiting to see how finely the new Pentax 645D's gonna be tagged in stores?

that's it for now folks and happy Pentax Riding with great quality pictures @ affordable costs!

camera: Pentax (for 135 to medium format film as well as DSLR so far)
computer and OS: Amiga / Linux / Mac (and Windows XP only!)
electronic keyboards: CASIO (price per performance wise of course, otherwise there are many great keyboards out there really, only when it comes to how much you have to pay for even the most decent of them, then ...)

Glad it's all worked out for you..

Welcome back to the club!

03-27-2010, 01:26 AM   #30

Original Poster
by JeffJS:
Glad it's all worked out for you..
Welcome back to the club!

thx JeffJS, t's good to be back, and with a nicely working K-7 too!

took it to the beach today afternoon although had a surgery last week (hernia) but the love of testing the camera made me forget the pain and dangers involved ... (climbed over some hills there, carrying the camera, a small bag as well as a light tripod and took many pictures.)

although i have only the regular kit lenses for it (18-55mm & 50-200, both WR versions) for now, but it's still quite a pleasure working with the duo too.

will probalby post some of the pics here in the future.

thx again.