Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Fn and playback buttons get locked?

Hi,

I just recently moved from a k100d to k10d (bought used). I am finding these two odd things that I would appreciate your opinion upon:

1) I am sometime finding that the Fn button doesn't bring up the screen. In this mode, the play button doesn't respond either. I am wondering if there is a delay or some mode/state that prevents it? It certainly is different from k100d, that always responded to these button presses.
Any thoughts/experiences regarding this?

2) Last night I also noticed another weird operation that after I took a shot, the onboard flash did the strobing and the camera tried to continue doing focus, as if the shutter was half pressed. It was not. The AF button is not set to do the autofocus and I know it was not pressed either. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

03-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Subscribe to thread
03-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #3

Welcome to community :-)
Just curious- does this happen specific to lens in use? Some Sigmas like 24-135 can cause menu etc. lockup on Pentax DSLRs and have been successfully rechipped by Sigma- so it was problem of initial reverse engineering by 3rd party.
Best and happy shooting, JR
03-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick response. It has only happened a few times but I think it is always with the Tamron 28-75mm lens that I got. How do I check the firmware/chip version on those things? Probably contact Tamron with its serial #? I wonder though, how they can fix it as there couldn't be a way to upload new firmware to a lens. What do you mean that Sigma rechipped it?

03-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by a101 Quote
... What do you mean that Sigma rechipped it?
Just a guess: They put new firmware in it

From the wording it sounds like they put a new chip with firmware in it, Although I'm not sure, I think they indeed upload new firmware.
03-02-2010, 03:54 AM   #6

I personally do not recall any Tammy 28-75 problems on Pentax bodies. Maybe there is something wrong with contacts (oxidation, grease, dirt etc.) and in this case I would suggest cleaning lens contacts as intermittent contact can cause erratic data transfer which may fool the camera :-) Also the contacts may be mechanically misaligned- too recessed etc. - who knows...
Best and happy cleaning, JR
03-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for your responses. I think I got it figured out. I'm writing my update so someone later may not get confused about Tamron's lens problem. This was not a lens problem at all except that the lens shape was making me hold the body differently.

I recently moved to K10d and it has a battery grip on it. Sometime, I have been leaving the On/Off switch on the grip in On position. What I believe is happening that I press the half shutter with the palm of my right hand. This is why the camera tried to do focus and strobing of flash. It also explains why the play and Fn buttons did not respond.

Well, I guess it makes you smile in the end... That's why this was posted in Beginner's Corner

Cheers!
03-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Also, I had submitted a question on Tamron's website. They were quick to respond and said the same thing, that they have not had any reports of such an issue with a Pentax.

03-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #9

All is good that ends well :-)

Nice that You figured out the source of the problem- and reminds me of occasionally having something like that with grip attached and combo hanging on shoulder and getting some "lucky" spanks from my lower body parts...
Best and happy shooting, JR
03-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
gives me an idea though that since the body knows its orientation, there could be a menu setting to disable shutter release from the grip, in landscape mode. I think it will be useful to have.