Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #1

Pentax K-X

Hi everyone,

This is Praveen from bangalore India.

A beginner to the world of photography. A lot of thirst to get photos & make a mark of my creativity to the world.

As an usual search on web for the best SLR, i found Pentax, a brand i heard for the first time. As it for all, for me SLR camera means Nikon or Canon. But pentax has lots of appriciation in the market for my surprise. But not sure to go to buy it due to its low brand name. hence would like to have all ur worthfull suggestions to buy Pentax k-x camera. my budget us 500$. planning to get it from florence, italy or from honkong. ur advise is most valuable for me to decide the best camera.

advise if i can the other best camera at my budget of us 500$ with all new feautres.

regards

praveen

03-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Forum Member

If this is your first DSLR, get the K-x, you won't regret it. I don't, and mine just came in today!

In-camera SR/AF, beats both Canon/Nikon's entry level DSLR's. Then you toss in the high-ISO performance of the K-x vs. Canon/Nikon and Pentax is the clear winner. On top of that, the affordability of the K-x, the quality of the kit lens (which doesn't suck, surprisingly), and the choice of color (let's face it, some of us are into colors lol) and I think you have your choice made. Only choice left is, which color

Top end camera's are another story, but for entry level, Pentax wins in every department IMO.

Just my $0.02
03-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Praveen Sanga Quote
Hi everyone,

This is Praveen from bangalore India.

A beginner to the world of photography. A lot of thirst to get photos & make a mark of my creativity to the world.

As an usual search on web for the best SLR, i found Pentax, a brand i heard for the first time. As it for all, for me SLR camera means Nikon or Canon. But pentax has lots of appriciation in the market for my surprise. But not sure to go to buy it due to its low brand name. hence would like to have all ur worthfull suggestions to buy Pentax k-x camera. my budget us 500$. planning to get it from florence, italy or from honkong. ur advise is most valuable for me to decide the best camera.

advise if i can the other best camera at my budget of us 500$ with all new feautres.

regards

praveen
Are you going to be able to Buy a Kx with $500 US?? Perhaps just the body but don't forget, you also need a Lens (at least one), an SD card, Batteries, Charger, etc. The body is just the first part of it. I don't want to discourage you but unless you're willing to wait awhile for a significant price drop, $500 US sounds a little unrealistic to me.

03-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Praveen,

Welcome to the forum, there are few members in bangalore already using the Pentax gear, you can check with them.
Check out this thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gatherings-photo-trips-groups/24597-pentax-users-india.html

03-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
advise me the price range available in india of Kx & K7 modles. also advise me the stores which offers these in bangalore
03-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply.But also advise me on the below.

what is the market price of K-X & K-7 in US ?
what are best cameras in the range of us $500 to $600 i can get ?
Advise me the stores,if u can, in florence, italy & Hongkong ?
Send me the video & photos u have taken by k-x & K-7 camera.
03-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
Forum Member

As far as where to buy, Adorama.com is great. I got mine from them and it came with the updated Firmware so I didn't have to do it. Worry/Hassle free!

16302 Pentax K-x Digital SLR White Camera Kit with White 18-55mm DA Lens

For just your basic K-x kit. (Body+18-55mm lens) They have it listed for $518.95

SECMQN064 Sanyo Eneloop AA Rechargeable NiMH Batteries with Charger (4 Pack)

$17.95 for 4 of the best batteries + charger

SDSDB4096A11 SanDisk 4 GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Memory Card

4gb Memory cards, SanDisk brand so you know they're good. I personally purchased two of these. I'll never fill them up, but I have one as a backup if the main card fails for some stupid reason.

All of the above is EVERYTHING you need to get out and get shooting some great/fun shots. And for less than $600.00, it's the best deal I found.

As far as what the images look like, there is a thread on here about the "Kit Lens club" and if you search on Flickr for the K-x group, you'll find PLENTY of photos taken with the K-x, including some of mine.

03-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #8

praveen

your budget of 500 USD is quite unrealistic... as jeff pointed out

for ex. 500 USD is body + 18-55mm lens only. the 500 USD equiv price is india would be much higher I expect atleast 50-100$.

Rest aside, u need eneloops (rechargeabe batteries), a camera bag. It will push your price by another 2-3k Rs.

I got k-x for 560 odd with 18-55 and 50-200 kit lens. eneloops 18$ bag 50$. couple of manual prime lenses from ebay 100$ in all. pentax forum site support 10$ i still have to buy a better memory card, may be a polarizer or 2, lens hood, and yes tripod later. and mebbe another cheapo manual lens.... so i think it burned me close to 800$. im frantically buying stuff that I may use much later because im moving back to chennai soon.

However, basic essentials body, kit lens, bag, cards, memory card and eneloops. should be close to 650$-700$. again this is US price.

My best advise would be to request someone coming back from US to get you the stuff.
03-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for your reply.But also advise me on the below.

what is the market price of K-X & K-7 in US ?
what are best cameras in the range of us $500 to $600 i can get ?
Advise me the stores,if u can, in florence, italy & Hongkong ?
Don't forget that if you are going Mail order, you are still going to have to import the camera as well. Paying whatever duties and fees your government tacks on. Maybe even if you are purchasing in person and physically carrying it in.

Right now, in the USA, you still won't touch a K7 for much less than about $900. Just for the body. By the time you get it to where you can actually take photos (card, lens, etc), easily add another $150-$200 for new. Photos taken with mine can be seen in my FLickr account, linked in my sig. Anything taken after Oct 2009, was taken with it. In many cases, the lens used is noted in the filename.

03-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #10

Please check kit lens thread. This forum is invaluable. If you do some digging around you will find answers to almost every question
03-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Hi Praveen. This is Arijit. I live in Kolkata and i use a Kx. It is indeed a great choice. The unit is competent and priced well. However, as many others have pointed out, you will have to increase your budget.

For sarters, a body and Kit lens for say $550 (approx.) will do. A 2 GB card in India costs INR 500. (maybe less). eneloops rs. 200 a pair and u need a charger. As your skill set improvs, you can think about adding lenses.

For the camera, if you think it is worth it, try 20North.com who ship stuff to India and include Customs Duty. Its available for Rs.35000.
I'd say a good deal.
Do keep in mind, in India while you will lot of sales and service backup for Nikon and canon, you wont get the same for Pentax. The other side of the story is you can have a great time shooting with Manual (used) Pentax lenses which are vaialable if you look hard.

best of Luck

Arijit.