Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #1

K-x newbie question / M lenses

I am successfully using my M 50mm 1.7 with my new K-x, using the Pentax instructions: here

Will those settings have any serious impact on the camera in other modes? I.e., when I use the kit lens or another AF lens, will it be important for me to change one of those settings back again?

03-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can I piggyback on this question?

Suppose we're both going back to our kit lenses, but he's using an automated mode now and I'm going M, including manual focus.

Last edited by Ira; 03-01-2010 at 01:44 PM.
03-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Changing Use Aperture Ring to Permitted does not have any affect on AF lenses that don't have an Aperture Ring ie. kit lenses.

@ Ira - If you want to use an M lens you HAVE to change Use Aperture Ring to permitted. As for Green Button, you can put it on Optical preview mode instead of TV shift mode. This allows you to meter and then use the control wheel to change the shutter speed. You can still use the ev+/- button to set the exposure automatically
03-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
tux
Forum Member

Also another handy thing is liveview focusing. First get your metering then hit the liveview button. Then focus & hit the info button 2-3 times which will zoom in the LCD. Now do your fine focus adjust & shoot. I find this way handy for getting your focus correct on a manual lens as it is quite hard to get it right using the viewfinder without a split screen.

03-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Slightly off topic, but good to know.

The older manual focus lenses, including M42 screw mounts, all work great with the K-X.

The only manual lenses you want to STAY AWAY FROM are the one made by Ricoh for Pentax. They have an extra pin designed for Ricoh cameras, and will get stuck (literally) onto the body of your K-x (or any Pentax camera).

FYI
03-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Changing Use Aperture Ring to Permitted does not have any affect on AF lenses that don't have an Aperture Ring ie. kit lenses.

@ Ira - If you want to use an M lens you HAVE to change Use Aperture Ring to permitted. As for Green Button, you can put it on Optical preview mode instead of TV shift mode. This allows you to meter and then use the control wheel to change the shutter speed. You can still use the ev+/- button to set the exposure automatically
Thanks EVERYONE for their contributions, but this is the post I have to go home and absorb tonight:

My Tak 50 1.4 shouldn't be a problem, but this Peleng 8mm is weird. No A-M selection, but a Lock-Unlock ring.
03-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tux Quote
Also another handy thing is liveview focusing. First get your metering then hit the liveview button. Then focus & hit the info button 2-3 times which will zoom in the LCD. Now do your fine focus adjust & shoot. I find this way handy for getting your focus correct on a manual lens as it is quite hard to get it right using the viewfinder without a split screen.
Wow. I think you saved me a world of hurt here.

But in incredibly sunny conditions (south Florida), does LV on the LCD actually give you something dependable to go by? I guess the answer is that zoomed in, yes.
03-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LIVEVIEW FOCUSING LV - > INFO - SHOOT

This may be quite useful when taking macro shots. I have a bellows / M42 lens I will try this with later. It seems it is ideal for closeup shots.

Why is it that when using LV -> INFO - > SHOOT that the shutter has to be held down for the shot to be taken?

Would be nice if the K-x would take the zoomed in shot just as it shows in the LCD. Maybe next time.

QuoteOriginally posted by tux Quote