Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-X and aftermarket lenses

We received a RED K-X a couple week ago... We previously had a PROGRAM PLUS 35mm... with several aftermarket lenses... The lenses worked great with the Program Plus, BUT, when we put the 28mm ALBINAR on the K-X it locked on and we had to have it serviced to remove it... We have several other lense but are really afraid to try them now... ( a 70-200mm zoom, the only name I can find is HOYA TOU/ FIVE STAR MC AUTO MACRO ZOOM - and a SAMYANG MC AUTO ZOOM 28-70mm) Think either of these will be useable and NOT lock on?

My question is... are there any aftermarket lenses that work on Pentax K-X ?

Thanks for any suggestions...

03-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ANVILHEAD911 Quote
We received a RED K-X a couple week ago... We previously had a PROGRAM PLUS 35mm... with several aftermarket lenses... The lenses worked great with the Program Plus, BUT, when we put the 28mm ALBINAR on the K-X it locked on and we had to have it serviced to remove it... We have several other lense but are really afraid to try them now... ( a 70-200mm zoom, the only name I can find is HOYA TOU/ FIVE STAR MC AUTO MACRO ZOOM - and a SAMYANG MC AUTO ZOOM 28-70mm) Think either of these will be useable and NOT lock on?

My Bet would be that you've suffered from RPS . Ricoh Pin Syndrome. Before mounting anymore aftermarket lenses on your camera, I'd suggest reading up on it..

Edit. Yes, a Lot of aftermarket lenses work with Pentax but many of them also made lenses for Ricoh cameras. All K mounts are not created equal. They'll work on your Program plus (or any other MF camera) because they Are manual focus cameras (see the links about RPS).

Good luck..
03-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ANVILHEAD911 Quote

Definitely read up on Ricoh pin syndrome so you don't run into this problem again...but for goodness sake don't be afraid of looking into both modern and old lenses! One of the joys of owning a Pentax is the decades of awesome lenses from Pentax and a dozen other companies - good ones, bad ones, indifferent ones in between. Experiment with different focal lengths and all other values for very cheap before you invest in a similar lens for hundreds of dollars. Buy weird lenses that no modern company makes.

A fast way to make sure you're buying lenses that won't hurt your camera is do lots of research in the Lens Review Database here on the forums. Lenses described, reviewed and dangers or failings pointed out in great detail and current cost estimated. Figure out what you'd like to try and what's safe and then hit ebay or used camera stores or CraigsList (it's not uncommon in a big city like Seattle to see a $500 lens for $200 bucks).

A big part of my move to Pentax was I would never have been able to afford more than one lens on Canon cameras. The backwards compatibility with Pentax is a joy.

So go play!