Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 02:27 AM   #1

Unable to fire

I have a Pentax 67 medium format camera and when I hold down the button to take a picture, it doesn't shoot.

I have the film loaded in already and I winded it up to 1 as the manual says. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

03-03-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by azngirlLH Quote
I have a Pentax 67 medium format camera and when I hold down the button to take a picture, it doesn't shoot.

I have the film loaded in already and I winded it up to 1 as the manual says. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Do you have batteries inserted? All 67s, including the earliest models, have an electronically controlled shutter that wont move a bit without battery power.

Another problem I recall is that the frame counter needs to be past the frame 1 mark for the shutter to fire. While this should always be the case after loading the film, there are quite a few 67s out there with a broken frame counter. Mine is one of those so I have to manually advance the frame counter (a finicky process - see page 10 and 11 of the manual) upon the loading the film. Obviously, I would also have to do the frame count in my head.

EDIT: Obviously, I totally missed that part where you said the frame counter was at 1 already. So the second paragraph wont apply to you, albeit it's still true. :-)

Cheers,
Tassilo

Last edited by vparseval; 03-03-2010 at 04:41 AM. Reason: missed paragraph in OP
03-03-2010, 04:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vparseval Quote
Do you have batteries inserted? All 67s, including the earliest models, have an electronically controlled shutter that wont move a bit without battery power.

Another problem I recall is that the frame counter needs to be past the frame 1 mark for the shutter to fire. While this should always be the case after loading the film, there are quite a few 67s out there with a broken frame counter. Mine is one of those so I have to manually advance the frame counter (a finicky process - see page 10 and 11 of the manual) upon the loading the film. Obviously, I would also have to do the frame count in my head.

EDIT: Obviously, I totally missed that part where you said the frame counter was at 1 already. So the second paragraph wont apply to you, albeit it's still true. :-)

Cheers,
Tassilo
Yeah, I have a battery in there. I pressed the battery check button and it lights up. I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong though but thanks.
03-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I have a battery in there. I pressed the battery check button and it lights up. I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong though but thanks.
Hmmh. Is the viewfinder blacked out or can you cleanly look through it?

03-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Any help is greatly appreciated!
The only 2 things I know of in normal operation that would cause that is the film isn't properly loaded or the battery is no good. You state that the battery tests good and that you followed instructions on loading the film.

Is this an MLU version of the camera (if it's a 67II, can't help you, never had one)? Does the MLU Work? Is there a Lens on the camera (hey, had to ask)? Did you fully advance the film to set the shutter? Do you have a shutter key and can you operate the shutter with It?

In any case, I would start with a fresh battery and a fresh roll of film to rule having done anything wrong out.

03-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If you have a good battery and the film is loaded correctly...
First, is the mirror locked partway up? If so, press the mirror release button located on the front of the body below the shutter button. It requires a small object such as a finishing nail or similar to depress.
If that doesn't do it, and the frame counter appears to be working normally, it is possible that at some point in the camera's life the right hand film roller got turned backwards.
This roller is attached to the frame counter, but also to the shutter cocking mechanism, and if it is rotated backwards can damage the release mechanism and/or the frame counter.
03-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

or just ignore me

I don't not know the 67 specifically. I do have a little technical experience. Were I in your situation, I would try the following. (If any of this sounds stupid, please shoot me down, ye expert Pentaxians!)

1) Look online for a service manual. pentax 67 service manual - Google Search

2) Unload the film. Check all electrical contacts for corrosion. Replace the battery.

3) Remove lens, open back. Compare interior with pictures in manual(s). Does anything look bent, out-of-place? Is anything missing?

4) With camera naked, try dry-firing the shutter. Does the mirror rise and/or fall? Is there a shutter lock? Press VERY GENTLY at any protruding thingies (technical term) in the camera's interior. Work the film advance; repeat step (4).

In other words, with the camera as close to base state as possible, make sure that everything that should be there, is; and push at stuff to determine that everything that should move, does.

I was a licensed broadcast electronics technician. (FCC 1st and 2nd Class, 1970.) Part of my service training was, 90% of all electrical problems can be solved by firmly smacking the offending device. The 67 is more than an electronic system; still, you might try some gentle tapping on the OUTSIDE of the body. No hammering at the interior, nope. And just for ducks, clean off all the electrical contacts -- I usually use a small teflon Pentel pencil eraser.

Like I said, if any of this sounds stupid or hazardous, I'll gratefully stand correction.
03-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

I was a licensed broadcast electronics technician. (FCC 1st and 2nd Class, 1970.) Part of my service training was, 90% of all electrical problems can be solved by firmly smacking the offending device. The 67 is more than an electronic system; still, you might try some gentle tapping on the OUTSIDE of the body. No hammering at the interior, nope. And just for ducks, clean off all the electrical contacts -- I usually use a small teflon Pentel pencil eraser.

Like I said, if any of this sounds stupid or hazardous, I'll gratefully stand correction.
The only thing smacking a Pentax 67 is going to do is break your hand.. It's most likely barring the battery, that the camera is stuck between cycles or the camera doesn't fully read the fact that it has film inside (sensed at the takeup spool).

03-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #9

Original Poster
I got it solved! I followed Wheatfield's comment about the mirror thing.

Thank you everyone