Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #1

Two questions: Looking for a name and social networking sites

Hi folks. Please bear with me whilst I pose two different questions.

Question 1: Looking [way] forward I know that I will need to choose a name for my future photography 'business'. Would you suggest using your given name with either 'photography', 'graphics', 'imagery', etc. after it, or would you suggest coming up with some sort of creative name that doesn't necessarily have your legal name in it? What did you choose and why/why not?

Question 2: Social networking - I am not a member of Facebook or Twitter or Myspace, etc. In fact, I'm not really a fan of participating in any of those sites. However, after much reading I understand that they may be a necessary evil for aspiring photography enthusiasts. As such, I know I'll probably have to relent and join one . With that said, would you recommend doing so on one of the aforementioned sites or are there photography specific sites that would be better suited (like Flickr). In turn, should I join under my given name or under whatever name I come up with for my future photography endeavors?

Sorry, I know that was kind of long winded. I just have so many questions running through my head, and I'm so passionate about photography that I can barely contain myself. I feel kind of like an oversaturated sponge right now. There is so much information to take in that my brain can barely hold anymore. lol

Okay, thanks in advance for your suggestions/advice. If it's easier you can respond by writing either Q1 or Q2 at the beginning of your posts.

Thanks fellow Pentaxians!

03-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A service like Twitter can help you keep in touch with your clients and Facebook is becoming more Twitter-like as the interface evolves. Since it costs nothing to set up an account it can't hurt. The time consuming part is keeping contact with your "community."

Gary Veynerchuk has done a lot of thinking and commenting on the interaction of business and social networking communities. Some if his content might help you decide if that's the direction you want to take and what angle would work for you if you do. If you are put off by his approach and presentation, give him some time, he's got some very thoughtful ideas.
03-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
Hi folks. Please bear with me whilst I pose two different questions.

Question 1: Looking [way] forward I know that I will need to choose a name for my future photography 'business'. Would you suggest using your given name with either 'photography', 'graphics', 'imagery', etc. after it, or would you suggest coming up with some sort of creative name that doesn't necessarily have your legal name in it? What did you choose and why/why not?

Question 2: Social networking - I am not a member of Facebook or Twitter or Myspace, etc. In fact, I'm not really a fan of participating in any of those sites. However, after much reading I understand that they may be a necessary evil for aspiring photography enthusiasts. As such, I know I'll probably have to relent and join one . With that said, would you recommend doing so on one of the aforementioned sites or are there photography specific sites that would be better suited (like Flickr). In turn, should I join under my given name or under whatever name I come up with for my future photography endeavors?

Sorry, I know that was kind of long winded. I just have so many questions running through my head, and I'm so passionate about photography that I can barely contain myself. I feel kind of like an oversaturated sponge right now. There is so much information to take in that my brain can barely hold anymore. lol

Okay, thanks in advance for your suggestions/advice. If it's easier you can respond by writing either Q1 or Q2 at the beginning of your posts.

Thanks fellow Pentaxians!
I think a Last name, screen name, or even just first name followed by Photography is fine. Graphics, suggests that you are not actually a photographer but rather a graphic artist of some sort, Imagery? Kind of getting into the artsy mode for me. That's fine if you want to promote yourself that way. It doesn't go quite as far as I've seen some go though. To me, and this means very little to most, the artsy names build up an expectation that usually leads to a disappointment.

Social networks? I'm pretty antisocial when it comes to them. If I want to see photos I go to the Flickr, Pbase, Smugmug, Photobucket type sites. I really don't care how many people someone has called a friend on facebook (or other). Doesn't mean that those sites cannot grow into something useful for you though,

03-04-2010, 05:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I think a Last name, screen name, or even just first name followed by Photography is fine. Graphics, suggests that you are not actually a photographer but rather a graphic artist of some sort, Imagery? Kind of getting into the artsy mode for me. That's fine if you want to promote yourself that way. It doesn't go quite as far as I've seen some go though. To me, and this means very little to most, the artsy names build up an expectation that usually leads to a disappointment.

Social networks? I'm pretty antisocial when it comes to them. If I want to see photos I go to the Flickr, Pbase, Smugmug, Photobucket type sites. I really don't care how many people someone has called a friend on facebook (or other). Doesn't mean that those sites cannot grow into something useful for you though,

Thanks Jeff. I'm antisocial too which is why I don't much care for those places. lol

Funny you mentioned the photo sites as I was just about to post a thread on them. I think I will do that just so as not to confuse the conversation.

03-04-2010, 05:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tybeck Quote
A service like Twitter can help you keep in touch with your clients and Facebook is becoming more Twitter-like as the interface evolves. Since it costs nothing to set up an account it can't hurt. The time consuming part is keeping contact with your "community."

Gary Veynerchuk has done a lot of thinking and commenting on the interaction of business and social networking communities. Some if his content might help you decide if that's the direction you want to take and what angle would work for you if you do. If you are put off by his approach and presentation, give him some time, he's got some very thoughtful ideas.
Thanks Ty. I will also check out that link.
03-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One advantage to using your name is that you don't have to go through the hassle of filing for a DBA when you want to make your business official. Just your name.

I have a Flickr account that is more networking with other photographers and has been good (but lets not debate the good and bad of Flickr everyone k?), but I'm also on Facebook. I was reluctant at first to do that and did initially to keep in touch with family (all over the continent). What has happened though, in posting shots to that, and tagging them with names, everyone that is connected with the tagged people see them too. I posted some shots of my 19 year old son that were somewhat experimental lighting-wise, and his friends are asking him if I'll do headshots, portraits, whatnot of them and wanting to know what I charge. It's an easy and passive way to market. Probably not the most efficient or effective, but easy. And it is generating some biz.
03-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
Forum Member

A colleague of mine, who works in IT security, is also a musical artist. For his musical business he uses his first and middle name as his 'name'. Good idea I think.
Example: First Middle Photography!

03-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
Damn Brit

To answer the first question, I think it depends how you want to promote yourself. If you want to promote yourself as a landscape photographer (for example), a made up name that suggests that type of photography might be more appropriate. One of our members (Little Laker) uses the title 'BC Scenic Wonder' on his website. He's in British Columbia and he does a lot of landscapes.
If you are going to be a general photographer, doing all kinds of stuff, using your name might be more appropriate.

To answer the second question, I think it can go two ways. You might stand out in the crowd or you might get lost in the crowd. I think it works best if you are already known and these sites become 'extra' places where people might find your work.