Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #1

K-x or Samsung NX-10

If the K-X and the Samsung NX-10 were presently offered at the same price and....

If you were one...
... not presently established with any brand, owned no lenses or proprietary gear and two...
.... certain enough that the present range of 18-55mm f3.5-56 lens, a 20mm f2.8 pancake lens, a 60mm f2.7 macro lens, a 20-50mm f3.5-56 lens and an 18-200m OIS f3.5-63 lens available for the NX-10 is not going to be a limiting factor for your needs...
Five New Lenses For The Samsung NX10 | Cameras

...which camera would you opt for?

Pentax has a fantastic lens pedigree.
The Samsung has only OIS so no IS would be available to the pancake lens.
The Samsung reportedly lacks manual aputure and manual flash control. Does this actually put these two cameras in such distinctly different categories that comparison is pointless?
The Samsung is a bit smaller with its mirrorless design (part of what I hope you'll comment on the pros and cons of between these two specific cameras).

Any word as to when, and with what, Pentax will enter this segment of the market? And if it did, would it most likely require its own new-format Pentax lenses?

As far as companies go, Samsung and Pentax would seem to correspond somewhat to the Japanese/Korean model we've observed in other industries. Many Honda automobile and motorcycle parts (only one of a dozen examples) have been manufactured in Korea since the early fifties, eventually resulting in all but paralleled R&D and manufacturing facilities emerging in Korea. Eventually this morped into mainland Korean brands of their own with quality and, arguably, pedigree, comparable to the Japanese designs that they now entered the market against. I expect that the situation with cameras is similar enough. Heck, the K-X is probably manufactured/assembled in China at this point. I don't know about the Samsung. My Samsung SL420 compact digital is made in China. Any year now the Hyundai, Kymco, Samsung, and LG equivalents will pop up out of China. IBM into Lenovo? No use keeping track anymore really.

Interesting as well is that I've been getting to know my SL420 now for about four months and while reading the reviews on the NX-10 the family resemblance seemed remarkable. Many familiar functions, icons, menus, features.

Last edited by frascati; 03-03-2010 at 09:40 AM.
03-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #2

Easy, the Pentax K-x. Those that don't have issues with Samsung's products seem happy, but when the product fails, you might as well throw it away since Samsung's customer service and support is completely worthless. I wouldn't piss on Samsung if it were on fire.

CS aside, I'd still chose the K-x because of the high ISO performance since that's where 90% of my usage is. The review I read about the NX10 said ISO 800 and above wasn't very good at all.
03-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

K-x. I don't think I can live with EVF..not actually the same thing as looking at the true image than like a video one.
Plus, K-x has great high ISO performance..less noise, better image.
03-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Between those two bodies...the K-x, now and forevermore.

Jason

03-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't worry, you CAN manually control aperture with the NX10. That's not the kind of thing that gets left out of cameras costing over $500 these days.

But I'll put another vote in for the K-x. Nothing under $700 touches it as a total package.
03-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hemi345
So the K-X is the Bette Davis to Samsung's Joan Crawford now?

Anyway, after close scrutiny of the responses here I'm detecting a pattern, and a possible winner.

Last edited by frascati; 03-03-2010 at 10:23 AM.
03-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, you are in a Pentax forum after all

Oh, BTW, in terms of pricing there is currently quite a distance between the two. The K-x can be had around $500 or less with the 18-55 lens. B&H has the NX10 with 18-55 lens listed at $699.99, but not available yet.

Last edited by einstrigger; 03-03-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: update
03-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fancy asking that on a Pentax forum

Of course everyone on here is going to choose the NX-10

03-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Fancy asking that on a Pentax forum

Of course everyone on here is going to choose the NX-10
I don't misapprehend the friendly sarcasm but...

... if I were being very scientific I'd weight for pure (blind) brand loyalty much less heavily in this forum. I think (could be wrong) that the Pentax crowd is likely to be more objective toward the competition. That guess is based on an assumtion that huge numbers of Canon and Nikon users are likely to be drawn to the product based on name alone without ever even looking at spec. Far fewer Pentax DLSR users likely fall into that category. I'd never ask such a question on a Nikon forum. I would expect mostly flame.

In fact, the generally level headed objectivity I've seen in this forum makes Pentax all the more attractive to me as a community of users.

It also gives me encouragement that Pentax will respond to its generally more discerning base (taken on average) by continuing to offer better overall products for the price. Sure they'd like the bigger market share - they're a money making company. But for the moment, they have the 'luxury' of developing products to mostly photographers. Nikon/Canon, obviously, appeal to photographers alike, but also have to please the rest of the party that's otherwise into gadgets as status symbols and tweeting with Ashton Kutcher.

Last edited by frascati; 03-03-2010 at 01:55 PM.