Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #1

ME Super focus question

What is happening when the bottom half of the "split image circle" in the center of the focusing screen turns darker and even almost black? I see no mention of this in the owner's manual but I assume it has to do with proper exposure. I was shooting today with a 70-200mm zoom under an overcast sky and noticed it. The "split image circle" assumed the proper clarity once the camera told me all settings were in place for a properly exposed shot in Auto mode.

03-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's just the prism on the vf screen going dark due to the slow aperture zoom you are using. The focus aid works by splitting light and not enough of it makes it to your eye. This is a down-side to split image focusing screens (and to an extent, micro prisms). Move your eye around the view finder, you may get a spot where the two halves are equally lit - you'll note that if the bottom one is dark, by moving your eye you can make the top one go dark instead.
03-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
Tanks Man!