Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #1

Wireless trigger, whats the point?

The flash in question is a Metz 48 AF-1, camera body is the K-x.

What is the point of having the optical slave sensor on the front of the flash? I'm trying to light a small tree against a sunset back drop, the tree is about 75 feet from the camera, so I place the flash on a stand about 15 feet from the camera (closer to the tree), aimed up, to get some dramatic effect (instead of just straight-on light).

I shoot and shoot trying various settings, moving back and forth between camera and flash, no luck. So I figure maybe I have the wireless setup wrong. I bring the flash closer, and it still doesn't fire. So I turn the flash around, thinking maybe it's firing so fast my eye doesn't see it. well then it sure fires! (maybe 6 feet away, pointed at the camera) after I get my vision back, I turn the flash around and try again, and it's not working.

So, is the K-x at fault? Is the on body flash is too wimpy to trigger the slave flash six feet away? Is it operator error, am I supposed to do some differently?

Why is the sensor on the front of the flash, it would seem to make a lot more sense having it on the back?

03-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm sure if the sensor were in the back of the flash, you'd find an application that needed the sensor in front.

The flash head does rotate, right?
03-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
IThe flash head does rotate, right?
Operator ERROR! I tried rotating to the right (clockwise), and found about 60 deg of rotation... I never tried to the left (counter), and now find that it rotates a full 180 deg. So it was probably in the manual, had I bothered to read the entire thing, instead of jumping to the bits I thought I needed.

Thanks *blush*
03-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by justDIY Quote
Operator ERROR! I tried rotating to the right (clockwise), and found about 60 deg of rotation... I never tried to the left (counter), and now find that it rotates a full 180 deg. So it was probably in the manual, had I bothered to read the entire thing, instead of jumping to the bits I thought I needed.

Thanks *blush*
...so does it work now?

03-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

another flash, another solution

Besides the AF-360 that may or may not be used off-camera, I also use a cheap thrift store flash off-camera. (Don't want to fry the circuits, brick the camera.) I found a cheap little no-name trigger cube for a few bucks somewhere. Cube sits on a tripod; flash sits in the cube's shoe. Cube sensor points at the camera or triggering flash; flash is oriented in cube's shoe so it points where it's supposed to. I fire the K20D's onboard flash; AF-360 fires, wherever it is; Vivitar or Sunpak flash fires also. No hassle, no hustle. (Hawaiian: No hoo-hoo. Spanish: No hay problemo. Pig Latin: At-whay, e-may orry-way?)
03-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Slave cubes like RioRico mentions are indeed cheap and convenient.

Personally, I hate setting off slaves with the built-in flash because I then get light from the built-in flash (usually) and the slaves often have trouble syncing (I am cheap, so I use cheap slaves). That's why I just picked up one of these. Should be convenient.
03-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
...so does it work now?
I'll try again tomorrow, I'm sure it will. I think the forward facing sensor expects to see the master flash bounce off the subject, and into the sensor, outdoors in the darkness shooting dark distant subjects, there will be no bounce.

I have some old Takumar flashes and optical slave cubes. I had thought of an optical slave chain leading from the camera out to the metz. I might look into some cheap radio triggers for the future
03-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #8

Original Poster
I haven't had the right conditions to reshoot my tree composition, however, the wireless trigger on the flash is working. The on-board "master" flash is really weak though, the metz sensor has to be pointed directly at the camera flash and within six feet or so.

That is using wireless p-ttl mode however. I have not tested it using manual mode.

03-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I believe the Metz 48 sensor is on the side of the flash body. Check your manual, I may be wrong.