Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Help w/ Final Photo? My Cat Died

I had to put one of my cats down this morning, and I was just looking through my photos of him. The last "good" one I got was when I was trying out my new K-x with the kit lens. It's certainly not the greatest, but I'd like to spiff it up (if I can). I'm attaching the original photo as well as two crops. I realize composition is not good, and the photo could be a lot better. But even though Boris was very sick, it does capture the essence of his personality.

TIA for your advice!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo     
03-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Please link to a full sized original image.
03-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a shame

Here's my go at the photo.. Corrected exposure a little bit, corrected the WB some, and a little USM to sharpen his hair up. I could probably do a lot more with the RAW file.. if it exists..

Peace Boris..

_
03-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Poor guy--sorry. I really like the close-up on the lower right.

My African Grey parrot died suddenly just last week--only 7 years old--and I cried like a baby.

03-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Please link to a full sized original image.
I'd been working on the JPG, but after reading Jeff's post, I poked around on my backup drive and found a PEF! The camera was so new when I took this shot, I'm surprised I'd had RAW+ turned on.

Anyway, here's a link to the original file.

Original PEF of Boris

The photo & crops I posted previously already had some (too much) exposure correction done in ACDSee....
03-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear, twokatmew and Ira. My sympathies, I know how it feels when good friends have to go.
03-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
That's a shame

Here's my go at the photo.. Corrected exposure a little bit, corrected the WB some, and a little USM to sharpen his hair up. I could probably do a lot more with the RAW file.. if it exists..

<photo snipped>

Peace Boris..
Thanks Jeff. I'm glad you mentioned the RAW, because I went looking for it after reading your post -- and found the original PEF on my backup drive. The shot was underexposed, and I managed to overexpose it using ACDSee's auto exposure correction. I really have to work on PP skills as well as photography!

Would you use the whole shot rather than cropping it? Or did you just work on that one because it was (relatively) untouched?

Boris was a sweet guy, but he had a hard life. The vet thinks he was about six. I took him in not quite two years ago, as he was wandering the streets looking for someone to let him inside. At least I was able to give him a warm and comfy home for a couple years.

03-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I really like your last crop also. However, if you have decent cloning skills, there are other options.

PP on my crappy work computer.

My software won't open the KX PEF file but if you want to link to a full size JPEG (Minimize the highlight blowouts), I would be glad to work on it this weekend.

Tim
03-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Poor guy--sorry. I really like the close-up on the lower right.
The photos show up in a vertical line on my monitor. Do you mean the crop of his face?

QuoteQuote:
My African Grey parrot died suddenly just last week--only 7 years old--and I cried like a baby.
I'm so sorry, Ira. I'm not sure what's harder -- when they die suddenly or deteriorate slowly over time.

Yeah, my eyes are all puffy and sore.... The vet shaved a strip of fur off his hind leg so she could give him the shot. Before I left, I wrapped that little bit of soft fur in a kleenex and put it in my pocket. I can't even bring myself to take it out.
03-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I really like your last crop also. However, if you have decent cloning skills, there are other options.

PP on my crappy work computer.

<photo snipped>

My software won't open the KX PEF file but if you want to link to a full size JPEG (Minimize the highlight blowouts), I would be glad to work on it this weekend.

Tim
Wow, Tim, you even fixed his feet! Looks great! It hadn't occurred to me to erase the couch, though I've done erasing before. My cloning skills are not the greatest, but perhaps I will get some practice now that I found the PEF. (Just the other day I set the camera to write DNGs, so I can now open them in any of my apps.)

Here's a link to the original JPG -- before I messed with it.

Original JPG of Boris
03-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
I'd been working on the JPG, but after reading Jeff's post, I poked around on my backup drive and found a PEF! The camera was so new when I took this shot, I'm surprised I'd had RAW+ turned on.

Anyway, here's a link to the original file.

Original PEF of Boris

The photo & crops I posted previously already had some (too much) exposure correction done in ACDSee....
Actually, the RAW image gives a very nice photo by default (on my screen)..

Had to upload this one to my Flickr account. I don't think The forum gallery will accept it.

Full size here..

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4406208575_ee6473ac38_o.jpg

I didn't do any noise reduction or anything like that.. Just a slide of the Clarity tool (in acr), touch up the WB on his white fur, sharpen a little for the eye detail, crop, clone out the couch, followed by my standard black frame.

+
03-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
graphicgr8s

And since I too like cats heres my go

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 07-30-2010 at 06:13 AM.
03-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
Wow, Tim, you even fixed his feet! Looks great! It hadn't occurred to me to erase the couch, though I've done erasing before. My cloning skills are not the greatest, but perhaps I will get some practice now that I found the PEF. (Just the other day I set the camera to write DNGs, so I can now open them in any of my apps.)

Here's a link to the original JPG -- before I messed with it.

Original JPG of Boris
What I did was add a white border to the bottom of the picture and cloned the carpet over the couch and the white border. A trick here is to rough clone first then blend the clonning by using a 50% opacity clone to add the texturer from the darker areas.

For the foot, I copied the back foot and pasted it over and blended.

I'll give it a good work over this weekend and if you PM me your email addresss, I'll send you the file to crop as you like.

Tim
03-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

03-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm so sorry for your cat.

I like the first image posted - the blue in the couch picks up Boris' blue eyes.

To my eye most of the reworkings lose something, there's too much contrast or the colors are off... seems the original light was mild and diffuse so there won't be deepest shadow or highlight.