Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #1

Manfrotto Tripod, Ballhead and Monopod package

Just bought a K-x and I'm now looking for a decent tripod for a beginner. This seems like a pretty good deal on Amazon. Any thoughts on why I should avoid this?

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 190XDB 3 Section Aluminum Tripod & Manfrotto 486RC2 Compact Ball Head With RC2 Rapid Connect System & Bonus Monopod: Camera & Photo

Thanks for your feedback.

03-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Byrdman Quote
Just bought a K-x and I'm now looking for a decent tripod for a beginner. This seems like a pretty good deal on Amazon. Any thoughts on why I should avoid this?

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 190XDB 3 Section Aluminum Tripod & Manfrotto 486RC2 Compact Ball Head With RC2 Rapid Connect System & Bonus Monopod: Camera & Photo

Looks crappy to me. The legs are single channel.
03-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Another thing:

Tripods are the one item you can get incredible deals on via Craigs list. eBay to an extent, if the seller doesn't kill you on shipping charges.
03-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Manfrotto's site says the legs are tubular.
Seems a little short. But then everything seems short to me.

03-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Not a fan of "package deals"

I thought at first that it was like the Manfrotto tripod I use and like a lot, the 190XB, but I see the "XDB" is a cheaper version- those leg locks look like a PITA to use. I have that 486 ballhead though, that's a pretty nice combo IMO. The tripod center support can be changed to 90 degrees and legs opened wide for macro work.

Not even sure about that seller though, if it were me I'd see what Adorama or B&H had first. One other important thing about the monopod- they don't specifically identify it, you might get some real piece of junk as part of your "package". Not only that, personal preference plays a role here, you may prefer a more compact, 5-section monopod. (I mean, that is the point of a collapsible monopod, right?)

That Craig's List suggestion is definitely a good one too.
03-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Manfrotto's site says the legs are tubular.
Seems a little short. But then everything seems short to me.
These iTouches are a PITA to type on, but I'll try:

They may be tubular, but they're single tubular. Double tubes for each leg cross-braced, is far superior, usually. Plus of course, the thickness and material of the walls.

I just bought a tripod for the office from B&H, and I didn't want top quality--just good at a decent price. I bought, of all things, a Smith Victor for $149 with like a 7 pound rating. Don't have access to the model name now, but it was Pro something.

Heavy? Yes. But that's what a tripod has to be to be its best.

And great point about the monopod above, which you're not shopping for anyway, right? A lot of sellers just throw a piece of crap in there to make it an enticing "package."

Last edited by Ira; 03-05-2010 at 04:32 PM.
03-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Here's the one I bought for $149, and I was wrong. This will hold up to 20 pounds:

Smith-Victor | Propod IV Aluminum Tripod Legs with Head | 700102

So compare this to the one you linked with a questionable monopod.
03-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks

I think I'll skip this deal. I've heard good things about the ballhead, but that's about it. The 190XB sounds like it's the better way to go.

03-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have the 190XPROB with the 488RC2. I definitely recommend the 190XB or PROB because they have the quick release, you don't want to meddle too much with the setting up of your tripod. I've also found the 190 to be quite stable compared to some other tripods in that size.
The 486 looks nice, it lacks the ability to lock the ball and only control the horizontal axis but that's pretty much only for easily adjusting your composition from side to side and is especially important for panoramas if you want to retain a high resolution in panoramas.
If you're planning on doing macro photography close to the ground I would recommend looking and the 190XPROB though, since it can go much lower than the normal tripod by tilting the middle shaft 90 degrees and spread it's legs flat out.
03-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #10

I disagree with Ira. This is the exact same set-up I have and I find it to be VERY stable, easy to use, but more than a little bit heavy for hiking. This is also a very good price for this combo. I would highly recommend this!