Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

abes of main?

is abes of maine a reputable store? will i get the actual Pentax warranty?

03-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I bought my Pentax 10-17mm FE and my Tamron 18-250mm from them. No problem.
03-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I bought a Sony P&S from Abe's a few years back. They shipped the wrong camera. I notified them, and they immediately and cheerfully shipped the right one. I consider them honest and customer-oriented, and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again -- if only they had what I want, at the best price!
03-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They've been around forever--the 70s and probably even before. And although I won't swear by it, I think they were originally based in Brooklyn. (Which is where I'm originally from and pretty SURE I visited their brick-and-mortar store back then.) As a matter of fact, they might still BE in Brooklyn, but use that name.

In case you didn't know, many of these stores are owned by Orthodox Jews, which is why you can't order online from Friday night to Saturday night. Although the web store is automated, observant Jews are still not allowed to do business, even via the site, on the Sabbath.

I'm pretty sure Abe is like this, and I know B&H is.

03-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've been hearing both good and bad about them lately, the bad being high-pressure upsells. But nothing about them being scam artists like so many Crooklyn dealers.
03-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you don't mind getting a phone call and upsell they are just fine. They used to be in NY but moved to NJ.
03-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #7

I was checking them out just the other day. I went to Pentax's site & found that they are an authorized dealer. Here's the link (I selected the black K-x under "products"). I also googled them, and did not see anything negative.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by viewfinder; 03-05-2010 at 08:51 PM.
03-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've bought from them with no problems.
03-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for all the info and the rapid response
03-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #10

Thumbs UP for Abe's. I bought my K7 from them. A few days after I placed the order (but before the order shipped) the price dropped about $25 for my kit. I also found out that if I had entered LOYATY15 as a promo code when I placed the order I would have gotten an extra $15 off. I called their customer service and they honored the lower price and applied the $15 discount. I did get a up sell call but I told the rep I odered everything I needed and that was it. I also placed my order through bing and got another 2.5% off (although the $ won't become available until the end of March but I can wait). With their price, discounts and Pentax rebates that were in effect until Feb. 15. the K7 with 18-55 & 55-200mm WR lens, 4gb card and extra 2 year extended warranty (registration card was provided) cost me $1063 including delivery. I thought that was a fair deal. I did have a problem with the Pentax rebate that I had to work out with Pentax. That wasn't a big deal either but I did have to fax everything to Pentax (make sure you keep copies of EVERYTHING!). Can't blame Abe's for that though. Problem had to do with lack of communication with Pentax and their rebate processor.

That's the full story on my first experience with Abe's but probably not my last.

Very happy with the camera also.
03-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Always check unfamiliar online retailers out on Resellerratings.com. They give Abe's of Maine an 8.94 (out of 10) rating, which is pretty good.

Abe's of Maine - abesofmaine.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

Abe's rating isn't quite as high as B & H's at 9.71, but it is still acceptable.

B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio - bhphotovideo.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

By comparison, Broadyway Photo, one of the notorious Brooklyn stores, gets a 1.42 lifetime rating.

Broadway Photo / A&M Photo World, Regal Camera, Prestige Camera, Preferred Photo, Royal Camera, bway - broadwayphoto.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

Interestingly, their six-month rating is climbing. Its now 6.74, which is still mediocre, but much better than it has been. The NY AG won a lawsuit against them and several other such stores, and extracted a consent decree, in which the stores agreed to make restitution and clean up their business practices. Perhaps they really are changing their ways, but they've got a long, long way to go before they ever get any of my business.
03-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I bought my K7 and lens from them. Their prices are almost always way lower than B+H (or anybody else for that matter). No tax, free shipping, and by far the best deal I found anywhere. Shipping was wicked fast - the gear was in my hands (300 miles away) in 22 hours, and that was with the free "standard shipping" which is supposed to be 5-7 days. Great service. Yes, they called and asked if I wanted a filter and a case and a spare battery - no big deal, just say no thanks and you're done. Good place to deal with.

And yes you will get the proper U.S. Pentax warranty, in fact they threw in the extended warranty for free (some other dealers are charging for it). They do not sell grey market gear.

Last edited by slinco; 03-06-2010 at 05:37 PM.
03-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #13

Upsell

My son just purchased a movie camera from them. Best price on the web, no lotyalty with the young'uns. Yes, the upsell was offered, my son thought that it was a good deal & went for it. Who would not, as you have no way to compare prices save what is told to you on the phone. He was offered an extended warranty. Son has a charge card that gives a 2 year extended warranty & told them so, after three "no's"they said O.K. No rudeness or other shenanigans. He is waiting for delivery.
03-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never had a problem with them. They are as good as Adorama or B&H or other big names. Often very good prices.
03-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
Forum Member

Re: abes of main?

I bought two lenses and a teliconverter from them. First my sigma 70-200mm and then my tamron 10-28mm. No problems and great prices, just the extra day to because they call you first to give a chance for upsell.

Look for codes online. They usually have new member order and loyalty member codes too. Saved an additional $10 on top of the great price for both my lenses.

They are also might still be listed on ebates.com so on those big purchases you can get extra money back if you go through that portal.

I only wish they had more of my desired gear.