Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gbandi Quote
Thanks everyone. This is great info. It sounds like most of you are suggesting a fast prime lens (30 to 50mm range). As far as the FL goes, ill look and see what suits best. do i have to multiply the FL on FA50 or sigma 30 by 1.5 to get the EFL (to compare with my kit lens) before i use it on a DSLR? do most people ever use flash with the fast primes or the wide aperture is usually enough?
if i were to buy a flash, which one would you recommend? i have heard about pentax 360, sigma and metz 48. i would like it have auto (adjusts intensity based on availaible light) and a swivel function to learn bounce back. are there any cheaper flashes with those functions?
g
You don't have to multiply; 30mm prime is the same as 30mm on the kit lens. And yes, I use flash with my FA31. Usually the built-in one (although I have a 540) for those quick shots but my subjects are usually further away which makes the light less harsh (at least what I think but I'm still learning ).
The Pentax 360 does not have swivel (tilt only) if I'm not mistaken). I don't know the other 2.

PS check out https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/43215-pentax-p-...omparison.html for info about flashes

03-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
A fast prime IS the way to go, and I have several good kid shots from a 50mm 1.4, but if you can at all afford it get autofocus, because at 1.4 (which you will want indoors below ISO 400) your DoF is thin enough to get really annoying with manual focus if you don't have a split prism. I have 5x more missed shots that are just out of focus, or that I couldn't take because I couldn't track a careening toddler fast enough.

Also I've found 50mm to be a bit long on APSC for kids because they don't stay put so go 30 to 40 instead. 50mm is wonderful for adults though. A shorter focal length will also give you a bit of extra DoF which could save those wide open / misfocussed shots.

So:
F1.4 - 2 - (2.8 in a pinch)
AUTOFOCUS
WIDER than 50mm, especially if you don't have autofocus.

For example this is my nephew at our new years party (SMC M 50mm 1.4; 320 ISO):

And here are two (of many) where the focus was ever so slightly off, due to thin depth of field:

Hope that Helps
03-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
@dgaies
If you call 28mm a little wider, what do you call 35mm or 14mm
Yeah, I reread my original post and realize what I wrote and what I was thinking were two different things

When I said "a little wider" I was already thinking about the 35mm (FA35) that I mentioned at later in the post. So I meant the 28mm is a little wider than the 35mm, not than the 50mm. Sorry about that.
03-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #19
Igilligan

No to the fast 50

Absolutely disagree with the fast 50 for indoor kids shots! It is not sharp until 2.8 anyway, and it is too long for many indoor situations.... so you would be much better served by the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 or Sigma 24-70 f2.8(I think)

Especially if you have more than one kid. The are never sitting/playing on the same focal plane, so 1.4 is rarely an option.

Get the Tamron 28-75 and you will not be sorry.

here is a recent thread with some examples....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/91579-tamron-2...2-8-guilt.html

*I will also add... If you are thinking of a prime lens option, use your kits for a bit to help you figure out what your 'sweet spot' is in focal length... what feels natural to you in your world. No reason to spend that kind of money on a length you end up not using.

For me the DA 40 is not a bad length. And the 75mm end of the tamron gets a lot of use for head and shoulder shots...

Last edited by Igilligan; 03-06-2010 at 02:02 PM.
03-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Depending on whether you would like to try MF lens, I use my Cosinon-W 28mm f2 fast lens and have been getting good results. The wide-angle lens makes it easier to use indoor when you don't have a lot of room to work with. It is also easier to focus (yes, because it is manual, a shorter hyperfocal length really does help); also, you can also manage a slow shutter speed, although, if the child/kid is moving a lot, it won't help. I do recommend getting a good external flash though - especially one with swivel head. I will not use direct flash on children or pets.
03-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Absolutely disagree with the fast 50 for indoor kids shots! It is not sharp until 2.8 anyway, and it is too long for many indoor situations.... so you would be much better served by the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 or Sigma 24-70 f2.8(I think)

Especially if you have more than one kid. The are never sitting/playing on the same focal plane, so 1.4 is rarely an option.

Get the Tamron 28-75 and you will not be sorry.
That's true, the 50/1.4 probably isn't the best choice to chase kids around with. I used to try and found all of Gus' observations to be pretty spot on. Generally speaking, it's longer than you want indoors. It's also true that it's not particularly sharp below 2.8. A hood helps the overall image out a bit, even indoors, but I never found it to be as sharp as would have liked (especially compared to the 35/2 and 50/1.7). And finally, taking a picture of a moving child, or multiple children, at f/1.4 is pretty much impossible. So more likely than not you're going to end up having to stop it down in those situations.
03-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

Most kid shots worth keeping are portraits, or them in tranquil play. A fast 50 is the perfect lens for this.

I can't recall one shot posted here of a kid that his him running around the house like a maniac.

All of the great shots, the kids are pretty much stationery.
03-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #23
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Gus, I have both the Tamron 28-75 and FA 50/1.4
Whilst I absolutely love the Tamron for its good speed and versatility (the zoom range is perfect for kids), I simply get the best results with my FA 50/1.4 - my copy is sharp centrally even at f/1.4, which is where it's needed most.

Here's an f/1.4 capture I've featured before as an example:

Another f/1.4 shot here (unsharpened):

And one from the Tamron for completion:

03-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #24
Igilligan

Absolutely beautiful shots...

Those are perfect examples of why the tamron 28-75 is the best 'one lens option'

Head and shoulder indoor shots the 50 does like a bomb! great!

But try using the 50 in a small room to capture the opening of presents or a full body shot of the child. I cant move back far enough in my little house to get that. But with the tammy I just zoom back to 30mm and I get the whole kid.

But I do agree, if you are only taking head and shoulder shots the 50 or even the 55mm length is fine.

Again, beautiful shots!

Ps what the heck is the water where you live that has kids growing those Big Batty Eyelashes? 8^)
03-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #25
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Most kid shots worth keeping are portraits, or them in tranquil play. A fast 50 is the perfect lens for this.

I can't recall one shot posted here of a kid that his him running around the house like a maniac.

All of the great shots, the kids are pretty much stationery.
That is because this is the 'Pentax' Forum and we cant even get a slowly moving kid in focus!