Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northeast USA
Posts: 273
Lens filters

Grrr...yesterday I got the two Hoya ND filters I ordered from B&H. I pulled them out of their boxes this morning and neither one fits! I ordered the size indicated for the respective lenses I have (Pentax 18-55mm / 52mm filter, Tamron 70-300mm / 62mm filter). Okay so I don't get it. What did I do wrong in ordering the size? Now I have to return them and I'm so bummed that I can't use them this weekend.

03-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
Grrr...yesterday I got the two Hoya ND filters I ordered from B&H. I pulled them out of their boxes this morning and neither one fits! I ordered the size indicated for the respective lenses I have (Pentax 18-55mm / 52mm filter, Tamron 70-300mm / 62mm filter). Okay so I don't get it. What did I do wrong in ordering the size? Now I have to return them and I'm so bummed that I can't use them this weekend.
Neither one fits? I can't imagine that. I assume you actually got what you ordered?? The only thing I can think of is sometimes filters are a little difficult to get started on threading on but I've never had one simply not fit.

03-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northeast USA
Posts: 273
Original Poster
too small

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Neither one fits? I can't imagine that. I assume you actually got what you ordered?? The only thing I can think of is sometimes filters are a little difficult to get started on threading on but I've never had one simply not fit.

Hi Jeff. yes neither one will even hint at going on. Am I missing something? Am I supposed to remove something from the lens before putting the filter on or something? No hoods are on, lens covers off...I don't get it. Good grief, I'm so clueless here. lol
03-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northeast USA
Posts: 273
Original Poster
What a dolt I am!

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
Hi Jeff. yes neither one will even hint at going on. Am I missing something? Am I supposed to remove something from the lens before putting the filter on or something? No hoods are on, lens covers off...I don't get it. Good grief, I'm so clueless here. lol
LMAO! Okay, I'm an IDIOT. You guys are gonna LOVE this...go ahead, laugh at my expense you have my permission. Are you ready...I was trying to put them on backwards! LMAO I thought they went on with the glass on the outside, not toward the inside. JC. ROFTL!


03-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
LMAO! Okay, I'm an IDIOT. You guys are gonna LOVE this...go ahead, laugh at my expense you have my permission. Are you ready...I was trying to put them on backwards! LMAO I thought they went on with the glass on the outside, not toward the inside. JC. ROFTL!
Well since you've approved it..



03-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northeast USA
Posts: 273
Original Poster
If you can't laugh at yourself...

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Well since you've approved it..



Too freakin funny right? Ohhhh dear. Well, live and learn right? *snort* Good grief! Okay, I get the moron of the day award. lmao You should have heard me fussing this morning about it..."GD it I got the size it said to get *&#%!@%! lolololol
03-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
live and learn, or don't

We gain good judgement from experience.
We gain experience from bad judgements.
The best way to learn is to f**k up royally.

"Oh Goddess, not ANOTHER learning experience!?!?!?!"
03-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ILLINOIS
Posts: 52
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
LMAO! Okay, I'm an IDIOT. You guys are gonna LOVE this...go ahead, laugh at my expense you have my permission. Are you ready...I was trying to put them on backwards! LMAO I thought they went on with the glass on the outside, not toward the inside. JC. ROFTL!
I would laugh and poke fun, but then I dimly recall a real brainless thing I did back when...
I especially hate it when I can't figure out how something is supposed to be opened or accessed, and while my brain is fizzing and popping, someone else then marches right up and clicks it open even though they've never seen one before either.

03-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,218
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
LMAO! Okay, I'm an IDIOT. You guys are gonna LOVE this...go ahead, laugh at my expense you have my permission. Are you ready...I was trying to put them on backwards! LMAO I thought they went on with the glass on the outside, not toward the inside. JC. ROFTL!
Hey, you get points for admitting it!

I 've always used the Cokin system, so I can use all filters on all lenses, irrespective of thread size.
03-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northeast USA
Posts: 273
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Pita Quote
I would laugh and poke fun, but then I dimly recall a real brainless thing I did back when...
I especially hate it when I can't figure out how something is supposed to be opened or accessed, and while my brain is fizzing and popping, someone else then marches right up and clicks it open even though they've never seen one before either.
It's amazing just how 'dumb' we can be sometimes. I tend to get a little impatient, that's my biggest problem. So in my haste I just started throwing a tantrum instead of trying to figure out the obvious. lol Oh my.
03-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northeast USA
Posts: 273
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Hey, you get points for admitting it!

I 've always used the Cokin system, so I can use all filters on all lenses, irrespective of thread size.
Thanks. Listen if it's one thing I am, it's humble. I don't pretend to be something I'm not. WYSIWYG at any given moment. lol I was obviously not at my shining glory Saturday morning.

I've read about that system you speak of but I'm so new to this that I'm only just beginning to accummulate gizmos and gadgets.

Ya know I used to be an equestrian and I amassed so much equipment over the years that I can't believe how much money I had invested overall. I would imagine that this will no doubt happen with photography now. I "need" this, I "need" that... lol
03-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 110
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote


Ya know I used to be an equestrian and I amassed so much equipment over the years that I can't believe how much money I had invested overall. I would imagine that this will no doubt happen with photography now. I "need" this, I "need" that... lol
This is called "upgradidous" and is very costly and so easy to justify in your head. I'm into mountain biking as well and I think that one wheel set or crankset is what I need to finish that race 10 min faster.

As I teach my daughter to shot pictures, I'm reminded that one lens isn't going to make that much difference in general. The biggest difference will be working the composition of the shot for photography and on improving the engine (my body) for biking.

My new MTB coach is actually having me spend LESS time on the bike now and doesn't think I need to upgrade anything unless it breaks.

My old photography teacher used to take us out shooting. He would have us not shoot like mad, but evaluate the best place to stand, look at available light and other factors before we picked up the camera.

Odd similarities here about what we think we "need"
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, filter, filters, pentax help, photography, size
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lens filters... kewpie-o Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 02-24-2009 09:16 AM
filters for which lens? pete_pf Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 5 11-09-2008 10:12 PM
Lens filters mkcmcuh Photographic Technique 13 07-16-2008 07:47 PM
lens hoods, lens caps, UV filters and camera storage Ed in GA Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 12-22-2007 01:40 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:00 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top