Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Inactive Account

How much of a difference does weather resistance make?

I'm deciding between the k7 and the canon t2i, the only selling point the k7 is giving me is the weather resistance. Which makes me question, how much of a difference does weather resistance make?

It says weather resistance allows up to -10C or 14F in the cold, dust sealing, and able to take out in the rain. But I've heard many people say they've taken their nonweather resistance dslr into extreme conditions and came out fine.

Can anyone shed some light here?

03-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just saw it here posted in the last week, but there was a thread that showed some pretty harsh conditions under which two Canon bodies, one sealed and one not, were used. Needless to say, the unsealed body eventually gave up.
03-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

The weather resistance WR is like an insurance that you take for your dSLR. True some non-WR cameras were able to sustain some harsch conditions once of twice. True, the WR does not mean waterproof, shock proof or dust proof. But ...

All of us who work outdoor and use their camera in harsch conditions will tell you that you take some risks anytime you bring your camera outside. If the camera costs $100, you may be prepared to take a risk once from time to time. If the camera costs $500+, no way!

If you intend to take your camera outdoor under the rain and in cold conditions, I strongly recommend that you go for the K-7 or the K-20, and consider some WR lenses. (See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/92730-weather-s...t-options.html on WR lenses).

Hope that the comment will help .....
03-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My thoughts on weather-resistance: I don't think I am weather-resistant. My current camera handles extreme conditions for as long as I can handle them. I don't think I stress it very much.

However, the K-7 is clearly a very durable, solid camera. Even if you never test its WR features, Pentax has obviously designed every external surface and switch with care. Unfortunately, there are limited opportunities to actually handle a K-7 and see this for yourself.

The T2i isn't out yet, is it?

03-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
^It isn't out yet, but it's very comparable to the K7, I can wait.

Where I live it can go down to as low as 0F, but I also plan on taking it traveling and using it. Some places might be humid and such.

I'm just not exactly sure on how resistant, weather resistant, actually is. I want the t2i if the weather resistance is just really minimal difference, since I might want to upgrade to FF sensor I'd want to keep the lenses.
03-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd say if you're jonesing for FF, go with the Canon - who knows if Pentax will ever provide that. And while the K-7 may be more weather resistant than the specific Canon model you are looking at today, that's probably not the last body you'll ever buy - particularly if you're really wanting FF. The next Canon body you buy might be as weather resistant as the K-7.

Given that most of the lenses I use are not sealed, I can't treat my camera (K200D, also weather resistant) as completely impervious to the elements. Knowing the camera is sealed allows me to be a little less convservative, but I am still careful. Giving up the weather resistance would just mean I get *more* careful, andd it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Howeverr giving up SR would be - Canon provides no stablized equivalents of *any* of the lenses I rely upon regularly.

Giving up SR would be really, really hard for me.
03-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yep, WR is nice. Lacking any WR lenses, I still find it greatly sanity-promoting. Pro lenses of old weren't sealed, anyway, but I can still handle my K20 as I would one of those, despite him being all full of computereyness. Much easier to just protect the lens and mount than all sides of the camera and lens.

I'm not familiar with a T2i, but I'd find out about its cold tolerance in particular, if that's where it'll see a lot of use. (I've heard another Canon model doesn't hold a candle to Pentaxes for that, anecdotally. When it's *very* cold, all you mostly have to do is let the skin of the camera chill down a fair bit and you don't have much worry about snow melting in your dials and buttons except for wet fingers, which you don't want, anyway. )

As entry level cameras go, you'll probably want to upgrade everything you start with there, whichever brand it is, anyway, so I wouldn't let that be a prime concern unless you want to go into a whole lot of nice lenses first (The K7 isn't entry-level, but I don't know about the Canon. Consider how much you'll actually be into a system by the time you make up your mind about FF. It's not worth the intervening time just to have compatible APS-C kit zooms, for instance. )

At least here, it appears that if you aren't paying the early-adopter markup, Pentax stuff tends to retain its resale value pretty well, as do at least the more serious Nikon and Canon bodies. It would appear that at least if you buy used, you're not looking at much in the way of depreciation, so I say, just get what you want.
03-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I would just comment that generally a Rebel body won't hold a candle to the K7. Canon puts a lot of effort into their xxD and xD bodies and they are significantly better built than the Rebel line. Truthfully, though, it is pretty hard to compare the soon to be released T1i to the 8 months-ago-released, K7. Weather sealing is the real deal. I have taken my camera out in rain and snow without a hitch using weather sealed lenses. Even without weather sealed lenses, it gives you some protection.

That said, you need to make a little bit of a game plan, think about what lenses you would like (someday) to purchase, what is available in both line ups and what does it cost. Truthfully, the thing that I appreciate most about Pentax is the fact that not all their cameras are huge behemoths. Seems like the higher end with Canon you go, the bigger their cameras get. That combined with some huge lenses makes their upper end something I personally would stay away from.

03-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I shoot outdoors 90% of the time and have encountered all kinds of weather. I also shoot around water and the camera gets a little water on it from paddle drip and splash no matter how hard I try to avoid it. All I can say is that in almost 3 years or rain, snow, kayak trips and rowing regattas, my weather sealed K10D is still working fine. Would a non weather sealed camera survive the same use? I don't know. My lenses aren't weather sealed. I do take care not to get the camera soaked and keep it in the bag when I'm not actually shooting when the weather is bad.
03-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smackythefrog Quote
I'm deciding between the k7 and the canon t2i, the only selling point the k7 is giving me is the weather resistance. Which makes me question, how much of a difference does weather resistance make?

It says weather resistance allows up to -10C or 14F in the cold, dust sealing, and able to take out in the rain. But I've heard many people say they've taken their nonweather resistance dslr into extreme conditions and came out fine.

Can anyone shed some light here?
Hmmm, many people told you this? I travel a lot and when I'm in the rain shooting, none of my Canikon friends are.
03-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smackythefrog Quote
'm deciding between the k7 and the canon t2i, the only selling point the k7 is giving me is the weather resistance...

...It isn't out yet, but it's very comparable to the K7, I can wait.
Never heard of the camera, so I just looked it up.

It's not very comparable to the K-7??

Sure it has high ISO capability (doesn't equal quality) and 18MP,
But it's lower frame rate, can only shoot 6 RAW in one burst, shake reduction in lenses only, lower top shutter speed, poorer viewfinder with lower size and coverage, no sealing, lack of controls compared to K-7...

It looks like a good 'entry-level' DSLR, I'd compare to K-x.
K-7 is comparable to 50D/7D.
03-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
Pentaxian

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9mBbo92Ik[/YT]